DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek VPN behind BTInfinity

• tribz
  • Topic Author
More
27 Apr 2012 08:49 #72039 by tribz
Draytek VPN behind BTInfinity was created by tribz
Has anyone done this at all? One of our branch offices is getting Infinity next week. We use Draytek 2820's to VPN them all together and this site has a 2830.

From googling around, its a case of disabling WAN1 (ADSL) & WAN3 (3G) and then on WAN2 setting it up as a PPPoE connection with the username and password of the BT service. How does this work when the Infinity box in front of it will be connected already using these details?

So I assume one of the 4 port connections on the Draytek would feed into the LAN and then the WAN2 port would go into one of the 4 port connections on the Infinity box.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2012 11:56 #72042 by know-dice
Replied by know-dice on topic Re: Draytek VPN behind BTInfinity
BT box is just a VDSL modem (in BT's configuration) so doesn't do routing or PPPoE and only has one Ethernet connector that is active and one that is blanked off.

More
01 May 2012 23:22 #72076 by graham e
Replied by graham e on topic Re: Draytek VPN behind BTInfinity
Thats Correct...:-)

More
05 May 2012 14:16 #72131 by roundst
Replied by roundst on topic Re: Draytek VPN behind BTInfinity
That's what I have at one client's site (and soon at mine too!)

My only concern with the VPN, is that PPTP seems quite unreliable - IPSEC is stable :)

hth

r

More
08 May 2012 14:16 #72146 by agentx
Replied by agentx on topic Re: Draytek VPN behind BTInfinity
Not saying that PPTP is dead but we always use L2TP/IPSec for our site to site VPNs and have had no issues for years.
I think the DT have a hardware chip to deal with Encryption but with PPTP it is done in software....maybe wrong on that one !
The big problem i am finding is that DT 2820/2830 do not have enough throughput for 50Mbps+ so we are losing some of bandwidth to poor FW throughput or routing.

Moderators: Sami