Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Manually assigning IP address to MAC address

• richardmccaig
  • Topic Author
More
01 May 2012 12:56 #72072 by richardmccaig
Manually assigning IP address to MAC address was created by richardmccaig
Hello, all.

We use a Vigor 2950 router with a Vigor 120 modem as our setup and all is working fine. DHCP is disabled, as this is handled by the Server.

In order to boost the Vodafone GSM signal in our building, we have introduced a 'SureSignal' box that is simply connected to a free Ethernet port on the 2950. For this to work, however, an IP address has to be assigned to it. Obviously, without DHCP running on the 2950, no IP address will be assigned automatically, so has to be done manually.

I know the MAC address of the SureSignal but am not sure how to assign an IP address to it via the web interface. From the Ethernet ARP cache table, I have established the IP address associated with the MAC address in question and have gone to bind it via the 'LAN - Bind IP to MAC' facility. It now shows in the right-hand column under 'Bind List'. That said, this facility is currently set to "Disable" and I am fearful of changing this setting to "Enable" or "Strict Bind" in case it conflicts with the Server's DHCP.

Any pointers or suggestions here would be most welcome! Without a set IP address on the SureSignal box, it won't work.

Thanks, in anticipation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2012 15:03 #72073 by rothers
"DHCP is disabled, as this is handled by the Server"

So why isn't the server giving the SureSignal an appropriate IP address and default gateway ?

• richardmccaig
  • Topic Author
More
02 May 2012 07:27 #72080 by richardmccaig
Replied by richardmccaig on topic Re: Manually assigning IP address to MAC address

rothers wrote: "DHCP is disabled, as this is handled by the Server"

So why isn't the server giving the SureSignal an appropriate IP address and default gateway ?

Maybe it is, in fact.

It's obtaining 192.X.X.10 from somewhere, so I guess it must be from the Server's DHCP. Problem is, it's not working. Will try Vodafone, methinks.

Thanks.

Moderators: Sami