Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Running 2off 2820n in WDS mode problem

• ianjohnston
  • Topic Author
More
04 May 2012 19:09 #72125 by ianjohnston
Running 2off 2820n in WDS mode problem was created by ianjohnston
Hi all,

I've got 2off 2820n routers so I thought I'd try getting WDS repeater mode working. I've followed the guide http://www.draytek.co.za/content/tinymce/plugins/openfile/uploads/files/latest_12.pdf and to cut a long story short:-

I am getting a "U" status for WDS at both ends, (so Link Is Active), but I can't ping the main router from a PC connected to the repeater via cat5 or by wireless, and thus the web isn't working from the repeater. Although I notice that every now and then I will get "D", i.e. No traffic.
I also notice the PC connectd to the repeater does appear to be picking up an IP from the main router's DCHP.

It's hard to tell, but it looks like I can connect via wireless to the main router, but not the repeater. I.E. moving my laptop around I expect it to pick up the strongest signal and it can't connect to the repeater.

If I hardwire the 2 routers together Lan to Lan then it all works fine.

I have tried replacing the repeater with a Netgear DGN3500, same issues.

Main router (connected to DSL) = 192.168.1.1
Repeater = 192.168.1.2
Firmware on both routers is 3.3.7.1_232201

PS. My intention is not to use the system as a wireless extender as such (although thats a bonus), but rather I want to connect devices (that don't have wifi) to the repeater via CAT5.

Ian.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ianjohnston
  • Topic Author
More
05 May 2012 11:16 #72129 by ianjohnston
Replied by ianjohnston on topic Re: Running 2off 2820n in WDS mode problem
Hi all,

Update:

I tried bridge mode instead of repeater but with the same results.

I also tried setting a different SSID forthe repeater so I could see the relative signal strengths, and both are 90%+

I can confirm if I go to AP DISCOVERY on both routers and run a scan I can see the BSSID's I'd already setup under WDS. However, I do notice if I hit STATISTICS under AP DISCOVERY that it suggests I use a diffierent channel, i.e. I am using Ch.1 for both routers and under STATISTICS Ch.1 is RED. However, if I shift both routers to a different channel the same happens again and again. Almost as if it's saying I shouldn't use the same channels for both routers....?

I can confirm on the repeater I have disabled WAN, removed all sign of any port redirection & disabled DCHP etc.

I can confirm that under the main router I can see my laptop which is connected to the repeater is picking up an IP (DIAGNOSTICS, DCHP TABLE)

.............It's almost as if it's all connected fine but a firewall is breaking all traffic!

Ian.

More
07 May 2012 10:19 #72139 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: Running 2off 2820n in WDS mode problem
Couple of things that might help:-
Firstly when you applied the latest firmware did you apply it on top of the existing config or did you completly wipe it and reconfigure? best to start from a clean install.
Secondly I found that once you establish the WDS link between the routers you have to reboot both routers before clients can communicate.

Howard

Moderators: Sami