DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n - about to bin it

• arbination
  • Topic Author
More
29 May 2012 09:46 #72375 by arbination
Replied by arbination on topic Re: 2820n - about to bin it
Yesterday I changed it from 11b, 11g and 11n mode to just 11b and 11g and I also disabled WPS. The Operation Mode is set to mixed (not green field) and the channel bandwidth is set to 20/40.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2012 09:04 #72380 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: 2820n - about to bin it
Once you have checked to see if the current changes have made any difference then try changing the channel width to 20. Also have you put anything metal near the router or moved it as that can make a huge difference to performance. Even the angle of the aerials can make a big difference.

Howard

• arbination
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jun 2012 11:30 #72402 by arbination
No joy I'm afraid. Wifi connectivity died early yesterday morning and despite several ferranti resets never came back. The wired portion continued to work as normal. Doing a nearby station search showed no station visible - normally there are at least 3 or 4 to be found. This morning I left it powered off for 15 minutes and when powered up wifi came back up as though nothing had happened.

More
07 Jun 2012 16:54 #72486 by damienf
Replied by damienf on topic Re: 2820n - about to bin it
i remember having a similar issue with my wife's macbook few years ago, it wouldn't pair with draytek unless i set it to use channel to 6. My ipod touch and my laptop had no problem at all. This issue has fixed itself since, but i'm sure where the bug was, both draytek and macbook have had serveral updates since.

More
08 Jun 2012 00:15 #72490 by townski
Replied by townski on topic Re: 2820n - about to bin it
This is going to be a non-tech answer I'm afraid but I've had similar with an old XP laptop. I used to be able to take down nearly any wifi network just by turning it on. It was the laptop's fault, it's ages ago now but I remember it always had problems since I stopped the 3rd party drivers and let Windows have control over the wifi settings. A thing of the past pretty much now but whatever it was doing, it used to stop everyone else getting on the network and it did that with 2 different customers. It worked fine at home, other devices would connect without problem, had a mind of its own outside!

1) have you changed passwords in case you've been compromised? </really-long-shot>
2) have you tried killing all other wifi devices bar one?

Often with this sort of problem, it's hard to see the wood for the trees and you're best off going right back to basic config and doing without any frilly settings and seeing how that works out with one device, add another and so on.

• arbination
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jun 2012 11:03 #72495 by arbination
Interesting stuff...

Out of frustration/desperation I ran a cable to the one system that runs 24/7 and things have been stable for over a week. There are 5 wireless clients; one on 24/7 and the other 4 as and when required. The 24/7 client is a Dell D630 running XP. damienf's post prompted me to do a google search on "dell d630 draytek" and I found some interesting forum threads:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1173551
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1034353
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1199168

None involve the 2820 series but there does seem to be a theme about issues with Draytek access points and the Dell D630.

Prior to mid-December the D630 was only used occasionally but after that point it's been left on 24/7. I did have some BT line problems which might have masked the issue.

I will look into a BIOS and wireless adapter driver update for the D630 to see what I can find.

Moderators: Sami