DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Using vigor 2600vg behind a bt homehub or replace it ?

More
12 Jun 2012 00:12 #1 by autoq
I am considering switching ISP's to BTInfinity. I presently connect to my ISP via my trusty old 2600VG.
I have quite a few machines in my home network and would like to keep this setup . ( I have an even older Vigor 2600 which I use to extend my network ..)
I have tried to describe my network topology below.

{ISP}-<......>---[vigor26000vg]
::::::::::::::::::::::|
main pc
other pc
network printer
cable to other [vigor2600]
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
other PC
XBox
Playstation
powerline adapter .............[otherpowerline adapter]----other PC

So if/when my homeHub arrives - can I simply place the 4 ethernet cables fromthe 2600vg into the homehub ( does it have 4 ports ?) and carry on regardless. i.e. does it act in a similar way to the vigor ( i.e. does the HomeHub have a firewall built-in ,etc) . How does its wireless capability compare - can i continue using the2600vg as the Wifi controller ?)
Alternatively, can I somehow plug the vigor2600vg into the Homehub and allow the vigor to act as e.g. a firewall and/or router . i.e. continue doing what it does just now ?
I am obviously not a networking guru , and if I could afford it I would certainly upgrade to the latest/greatest vigor , but cannot justify that presently.
I am genuinely interested to hear what people (who actually know what they are talking about) would people recommend .... thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami