DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830 wan2 not detecting DHCP

• mtcsltd
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jun 2012 22:18 #72626 by mtcsltd
2830 wan2 not detecting DHCP was created by mtcsltd
Yesterday and today, at a customer site, I tried connecting a satellite modem to the wan2 port, but it would not detect the DHCP information from the satellite modem.
The modem is a Tooway Surfbeam2 Model RM4100.
Initially I placed the DHCP information directly into the wan2 settings, which worked, but only until the link went down, the satellite modem acquired a new IP address and of course this no longer matched what was hard coded for wan2. The ISP uses a dynamic IP address.
I was using the 2830 to replace a Netgear DGND3700. The DGND3700 reliably and repeatedly detects the DHCP information perfectly well.
As a workaround, I had to put the DGND3700 back in place. I left DHCP turned on in that device, then I connected one of it's LAN ports to the 2830's WAN2 port. The 2830 picks up the DHCP information from that fine, and all the DHCP clients on the 2830 get internet access. That's OK for a workaround but I need to remove the DGND3700.

So how do I cut the DGND3700 out of the loop? Why won't the 2830 detect the Surfbeams DHCP information, yet the DGND3700 does. I tried altering the WAN2 connection mode - ARP detect, Always On, Ping detect - but nothing worked. I also turned off load balancing options, QOS, etc, and disabled WAN1 and WAN3.

I see from another forum that someone else is having the same problem, and appears to remain unresolved. Such a nuisance. Looks like if I'd used a 2820 I'd have had no issues at all.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1858834

The 2830 firmware level is 3.3.7.1_232201.

I've installed a number of 2820's and 2830's at customer sites, but this is the first to use WAN2. I'm worried I'll run into the same problems myself in September. Getting FTTC.

The Surfbeam 2 RM4100 uses a gigabit port.

Any thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2012 15:40 #72628 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: 2830 wan2 not detecting DHCP

mtcsltd wrote: ...The DGND3700 reliably and repeatedly detects the DHCP information perfectly well...

A long shot, but if you clone the MAC address which the Netgear usuallt presents to the RM4100 on to the Draytek WAN2 does this get you any further? Perhaps there are some existing DHCP lease times in the twoway kit that don't expire quickly enough? Best regards, Neal

• mtcsltd
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jun 2012 12:58 #72641 by mtcsltd
Replied by mtcsltd on topic Re: 2830 wan2 not detecting DHCP
Hi Neal. Thanks for your reply. I thought about doing that but tried something else first. I connected the satellite modem to the LAN port of my laptop. Since the satellite modem has DHCP active, it gave my laptop an IP address and I was on the internet immediately, so the modem isn't mishandling the DHCP lease for any devices MAC address.
Also, I powered down the satellite modem and v2830, then powered up the modem, allowed it to acquire its dynamic address, then powered on the v2830 many minutes later, but the v2830 still couldn't acquire a DHCP assigned address. Connecting it to my laptop and also to the DGND3700 worked right away, on the fly as it were.
Very puzzling. Hopefully Draytek have an answer.

Moderators: Sami