DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850n WCF not working on mobile device.

• leebcurtis
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jun 2012 21:47 #72632 by leebcurtis
2850n WCF not working on mobile device. was created by leebcurtis
Hi, please forgive me if I'm missing something very simply, I'm new to Draytek.

I have just set up my new Vigor 2850n. I am using the 30 day trial version of the web content filter. I have set up WCF in its simplest form, just by setting the gneral firewall to be the default WCF rule.

This works fine on my Win7 PC, blocking sites and displaying a message as I would expect (using a wired or wifi connection). However, when I try and access the same site on a WiFi connection from my Android smartphone the site is not blocked, and as confirmation, I see no entry in the syslog.

I can see that since I activated the trial of WCF the LAN DNS addresses were changed, and as I understand it, android devices do not obtain DNS addresses over DHCP.

I'm not sure this is the reason though, as I didn't think that WCF relied on the clients DNS settings as it is the router itself sending the traffic?

Any ideas why the rule could be working on one device and not the other please?

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2012 09:47 #72653 by kevan
Works fine for both PCs and Android phones on my 2850n. I'm on the full licence rather than the trial, but I doubt that makes a difference. Is your android phone definitely using the wireless for data, or could it be going through 3G?

• leebcurtis
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jun 2012 21:53 #72671 by leebcurtis
Replied by leebcurtis on topic Re: 2850n WCF not working on mobile device.
Kevan, thanks for your reply - that's interesting to know.

Can I just ask - is your WCF set up using the general rule or another firewall rule?

Also, did you LAN DNS addresses change when you activated the WCF? I can't understand why this happened!

Thanks

Lee

• leebcurtis
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jun 2012 22:28 #72711 by leebcurtis
Replied by leebcurtis on topic Re: 2850n WCF not working on mobile device.
After doing some more testing, I've found that the issue isn't the rules not working on Android devices, but the use of Opea Mini broweser. I hadn't realised this, but this browser is widely advertised as a proxy avoidance tool!

Moderators: Sami