DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830 Setup advice please!

• macximum
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jun 2012 21:16 #72670 by macximum
2830 Setup advice please! was created by macximum
Any help would be much appreciated: 2830 running 2 connections to the Internet.

WAN1 - unreliable ADSL connection, constantly up and down, slow and fast - nothing we can do at the moment due to distance from exchange and rural line quality (thanks BT). Anything from 0.5mb downstream to 3mb.

WAN2 - very good ThreeUK 3G dongle connection (E367), connected via Zoom 4506BG modem. Anything from 4mb downstream to 7mb.

Limitations to consider, dongle has 15gb limit each month, due to setup of dongle it will not hand external IP to Draytek.

For optimum results do I...

1. Run WAN1 as failover/backup for WAN2
2. Run WAN1 and WAN2 in AutoWeight
3. Run WAN1 and WAN2 in LoadBalance

If Option 1 prevails, how would I best sense the failure of WAN2 (ARP or Ping, TTL?) and additionally how would I failover once 15gb had been used on a rolling basis? Also, would using DMZ help to access ports/clients remotely from the internet using this connection method, or am I barking up wrong tree?

Option 2, seems to produce odd results for clients when WAN1 is proving unreliable or slow but at least when WAN1 is semi working (AutoWeight or as primary WAN) I can reach clients remotely using dyndns and the ports that are configured on the Draytek.

Option 3, I have not fully tested but I guess would need intricate settings to manage bandwidth loads.

If the dongle proves to be the way forward for the main WAN, to avoid additional usage charges which are quite high I have considered getting a second 15gb dongle and physically swapping them over, as the allowance seems to last only about 2.5 weeks at the most and I cannot really limit what the clients on the network are doing too much.

Many thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• macximum
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jun 2012 14:01 #72694 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: 2830 Setup advice please!
Can anyone offer any gems of wisdom?

• macximum
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jul 2012 20:08 #72863 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: 2830 Setup advice please!
Anyone?

Moderators: Sami