Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

connection type for WAN2

• lplateandy
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jun 2012 11:22 #72720 by lplateandy
connection type for WAN2 was created by lplateandy
Hi,

Apologies for this question - i know it's basic and i'm surprised there's nothing in the FAQs. Couldn't find an answer in the forum - apologies if i've overlooked it.

So...

I've been using the Draytek 2830 series fine as the ADSL router but wanted to add a second support internet connection through WAN2.

I'm a little confused about the connection options for WAN2. PPPoE seems to be the main/first option - does my adsl modem need to be running as PPPoE as well or is it fine as the PPPoA that the ISP lists in the set up instructions.

I'm using a SpeedTouch 546i and can't see how/where i'd change that setting.

If i shouldn't use PPPoE then what should i look at next?

I also found it a bit confusing that the help guide seems to cover setting up WAN1 and WAN2 at the same time under the "Quick Start Wizard" - as i just want to add a WAN2 i went to WAN>>Internet Access which is laid out differently but i presume does the same thing?

Sorry again for the basic questions and thanks in advance for any tips or pointers to resources for dummies!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2012 11:47 #72721 by toph3r
Replied by toph3r on topic Re: connection type for WAN2
So you have two ADSL lines? You will need to put the second ADSL modem / router in 'modem mode', then initiate the connection via PPoE within the WAN2 section of the Draytek.

• lplateandy
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jun 2012 11:58 #72722 by lplateandy
Replied by lplateandy on topic Re: connection type for WAN2
Thanks Toph3r

Just found this info as well and i seem to be running ok under the "static or dynamic" IP.

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17162&p=71964&hilit=setting+up+adsl+modem+for+WAN2#p71964

I will try to configure my router to modem mode tough as it does seem the more valid approach

More
25 Jun 2012 13:13 #72727 by toph3r
Replied by toph3r on topic Re: connection type for WAN2
Hi -

Yes, indeed that's definitely worth doing, as you're currently double NAT'ing which isn't a nice setup.

good luck!

Moderators: Sami