DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850 connects via VDSL but no internet

More
02 Jul 2012 10:16 #72814 by lesd
Fixed!

It turned out that I had part of the login name wrong. it should have been @013net and I had a letter oh - the way it had been dictated to me.

So router-wise the connection was fine, it was just an authentication issue.

But what still bothers me is why the authentication error did not show up on the status page.

The VDSL line on the bottom of the page was OK but that I would expect to be OK once the line has synchronised.

However, why was the WAN1 line at the top also showing green when there was an authentication problem? I'm sure my old 2910 did not do that.

Thanks for the various posts.

For the record, other than entering the user name and password, there was no need to enter any other value anywhere.

Les

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2012 13:24 #72817 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2850 connects via VDSL but no internet
Nice..are you getting full speed with the draytek compare to d-link?
the green light stay on or flash is firmware bug...is mentioned before and is flashing to mine even i dont use vdsl

More
02 Jul 2012 13:42 #72818 by lesd
The line is supposed to be limited to 20 MB and it is showing sync speed of 22 with 1.66 upload.

Bezeq speed test gives 20.63/954

When the line was first installed I think the D-Link only showed about 12 MB. I will check it tonight.

As to lights:

Act flashed regularly at about once every 2 seconds.
VDSL is on solid
QoS is on solid

As of yet I have not configured anything.

I will check out the QoS settings as I use an Asterisk based switchboard and VoIP phone lines so giving VoIP priority would be useful.

Les

More
02 Jul 2012 14:37 #72819 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2850 connects via VDSL but no internet
for speed test can try the nearest server at www.speedtest.net

More
02 Jul 2012 15:02 #72820 by dcrobinson1965
Replied by dcrobinson1965 on topic Re: 2850 connects via VDSL but no internet
But bear in mind that speedtest.net is not scientific.

I spent some time investing my 2850, with DrayTek 2nd line support involved too. I have an 80/20 connection, but the best I could get upstream was about 11mbps according to Speedtest.net. However, I can quite clearly upload stuff using FTP at over 16mbps. It was agreed in the end that there is probably a firmware issue, and the data has been sent to DrayTek HQ, but it indicates that speedtest.net is not foolproof.

Also worth pointing out that myself and various other people have concluded that with 3.6.2 firmware there is slightly better performance using WAN-2 and the BT Openreach modem than you get out of WAN-1 and the built-in DrayTek modem. Probably of the order of 5%.

And also bear in mind that QoS will soak up a good percentage of your available bandwidth, depending on the setting of "adsl rxpct" and "adsl txpct".

Moderators: Sami