DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Enabling Firewall Rules using Telnet

• dcrobinson1965
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jul 2012 08:44 #72786 by dcrobinson1965
Enabling Firewall Rules using Telnet was created by dcrobinson1965
I'm at the very early stages of writing an Android app to control various things on my 2850n. I can turn the wireless on and off by sending "wl act on" etc, and this works great. However, I am having problems enabling/disabling firewall rules.

For example, to enable rule 2 in set 5, I am sending the command "ipf set 5 rule 2 -e 1". According to the web user interface, the rule is enabled. However, it is not having an affect on the traffic. Basically, I can interrogate the rule status (using "ipf set 5 rule 2 -v" and grepping the result), and turn it on and off... and according to the web interface everything has worked... but it has no affect on traffic. I have tried sending a "sys commit", which doesn't appear to do anything.

I've not tried rebooting after enabling the rule (and I don't want to, because I don't want to keep rebooting a VDSL connection). Surely I shouldn't have to anyway. The web interface changes firewall rules without rebooting.

Am I doing something stupid, or is there another Telnet command that's not in the (out of date) manual?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2012 16:28 #73066 by sparky-steve
Replied by sparky-steve on topic Re: Enabling Firewall Rules using Telnet
Hi Dave,

I was hoping to do something identical - did you resolve this?

If I find a solution, I'll update this thread, too.

• dcrobinson1965
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jul 2012 18:56 #73090 by dcrobinson1965
Replied by dcrobinson1965 on topic Re: Enabling Firewall Rules using Telnet
I'll give it another go in the next couple of days, and let you know what happens.
I know my Android app works, because I'm switching the WLAN on/off successfully.

More
30 Jul 2012 19:42 #73093 by sparky-steve
I'm relatively sure we're doing it right - i think it's a bug; to that end I've opened a ticket with draytek tech support, and they've confirmed my ticket (though nothing more at this stage).

Cheers
Steve

More
07 Aug 2012 17:44 #73170 by sparky-steve
I have chased this, but I'm guessing there are very few people wanting this to work, so presumably is very low on their to-do list, assuming it even made the to-do list.

I am now completely sure we're doing it correctly, and that it is a bug somewhere.

If, as & when I get any updates, I'll be sure to post them here.

• dcrobinson1965
  • Topic Author
More
07 Aug 2012 18:20 #73171 by dcrobinson1965
Replied by dcrobinson1965 on topic Re: Enabling Firewall Rules using Telnet
Thanks for keeping me informed. I've had another go and still can't get it to work.

My biggest disappointment is the lack of up-to-date information about the Telnet/SSH interfaces (and some of the stuff in the 2009 manual is not very helpfully explained (or translated).

Moderators: Sami