DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2830n NAS issue

• gighatec
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jul 2012 11:41 #72853 by gighatec
Vigor 2830n NAS issue was created by gighatec
Apologies if this is a little straightforward but ...

Replaced a netgear 834G with the above router, get through to the internet fine but cannot see the QNAP TS219p NAS drive. Run the QNAP finder software - says its not there. Ping it, not there.

Put the old netgear in - no problem all the shares are there.

Is this an static IP / Vigor firewall issue and if so - any advice on resolving much appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2012 09:38 #72855 by sim
Replied by sim on topic Re: Vigor 2830n NAS issue
If you set the netgear up then log into the NAS and go to Networking, make sure it is set to get an IP adress from a DHCP server and not set to static IP. Then put the draytek back on and use QNAP Finder. It should then find the NAS. If you then use MAC Adress binding in your router you can then fix the IP adress so it does not change.

• gighatec
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jul 2012 14:20 #72856 by gighatec
Replied by gighatec on topic Re: Vigor 2830n NAS issue
Many thanks - will try that tomorrow.

• gighatec
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jul 2012 12:55 #72981 by gighatec
Replied by gighatec on topic Re: Vigor 2830n NAS issue
Tomorrow - huh some chance!

OK, went in, accessed the NAS via the original netgear router and the IP address is assigned by DCHP. So, replaced the router with the Draytek and still cant see the NAS, BUT, think I can see why ...

The netgears IP is 192.168.0.1 and it was with this product the NAS was installed. When I put the Draytek in place, IP 192.168.1.1, all the PCs get new IPs allocated in the 192.168.1.x range, rather than 192.168.0.x with the netgear. But the QNAP still has an IP address of 192.168.0.2, and therefore the draytek cannt see it. I think.

So, I was thinking of giving the QNAP a static IP of 192.168.1.x, where x is outside of the DCHP range of the draytek.

Before I do this, could someone please advise if I am going down the right route - many many thanks

Andy

More
20 Jul 2012 09:23 #72989 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: Vigor 2830n NAS issue
Yes you are on the right lines but assign the QNAP box an IP of say 192.168.1.8 and then on your LAN general setup page of the router set the start address for DHCP as 192.168.1.10. Just a general point if you are going to ever use the VPN functionality stay away from 192.168.1.xx and move to say 192.168.10.xx as both ends have to be in different subnets and as 192.168.1.xx will often be the default at hotels and other places you might vist it's not a good idea. Also remember to do port redirection in NAT and also to change the management port and FTP port of the router etc so you can access the NAS box externally via the web.

Howard

More
21 Jul 2012 10:10 #72997 by sim
Replied by sim on topic Re: Vigor 2830n NAS issue
Or you could just set the Draytek to the same IP range as the Netgear so it hands out 192.168.0.- addresses via dhcp. This way you could use either router with out any issues.(as long as you dont use both at the same time)

Moderators: Sami