DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2930 DNS set up

More
10 Jul 2012 19:37 #72870 by njh
2930 DNS set up was created by njh
Hi,

I would like to set up the 2930 to use OpenDNS by setting the WAN DNS servers to their IP. I would then like The 2930 to hand out its own IP address as the LAN DNS IP. How can I do this? If I set the WAN DNS servers, but nothing on the LAN, the LAN uses the 2930, but this uses my ISP's DNS servers and not OpenDNS. If I set the LAN to OpenDNS the LAN uses OpenDNS directly rather than the 2930's DNS cache.

It is many years since I set my 2900 to do this so it used to be possible. Can it be done with the 2930?

TIA,
Nick

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2012 12:32 #72880 by jasontaylor
Replied by jasontaylor on topic Re: 2930 DNS set up
I have done this before on a 2820 but shouldn't be much different! Providing that the 2930 is your DHCP server and that in your 2930 DHCP server LAN settings you have your DNS set as OpenDNS (you will also have a check box here to force the router to use this DNS address which I would leave unchecked so that the router still uses your ISP's).

Changes on the computers will not chnage immediatly and it's probably best to do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE followed by IPCONFIG /RENEW in command prompt to make sure the computer has renewed its IP address setting. IPCONFIG /ALL should reveal what DNS settings your router has given you. Also do an IPCONFIG /flushdns to clear the DNS cache prior to your testing otherwise any web pages you have just visited will bypass the current DNS server settings.

Hope that helps :-)

Jason

More
11 Jul 2012 13:12 #72882 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Re: 2930 DNS set up
When I set the LAN DNS to OpenDNS and checked the check box, the 2930's DHCP server gave out the OpenDNS IP's to my Win7 client and not its LAN IP which was what I was wanting. I tried putting the OpenDNS servers in the WAN settings but I don't think these take effect unless you do a manual WAN set up, which I can't do as I have a dynamic IP.

Can you please clarify where you set the OpenDNS IP's - in the LAN or WAN section?

I am having a few problems testing this as the 2930 gives very erratic results and on the WAN currently shows 4.2.2.1 and 168.95.1.1 which I have not set and are not my ISP's - I currently have OpenDNS set. The router is in a remote location so is difficult to test. I am scared to reboot it as it only came on line before when I visited the location and manually released and renewed the lease which I think is a firmware bug. I will try to set up a batch job on the remote computer to do the release and renew. I can't do it by telnet from here as once I release it I can't issue the command to renew it.....

More
11 Jul 2012 13:32 #72883 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: 2930 DNS set up

NJH wrote: ...Can you please clarify where you set the OpenDNS IP's - in the LAN or WAN section?....

I personally put them on the LAN section and leave the WAN section with the ISP's details.

More
11 Jul 2012 20:07 #72893 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Re: 2930 DNS set up
I've tried it. All it does is pass on OpenVPN's IP addresses to the LAN PC's so the router is not caching DNS lookups.

Moderators: Sami