DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Which do you recommend?

More
18 Jul 2012 11:19 #72972 by sijo
Which do you recommend? was created by sijo
Hi, I have recently joined a company on a part time basis and they are using a Netgear router which keeps failing and needs daily rebooting.

I have recommended that this is scrapped and replaced with a Draytek Router. We currently only have ADSL but Fibre has been ordered and will be installed next Monday. I therefore think a dual/tri wan router would be recommended so we can have the ADSL and the Fibre connected with the option possibly of a 3G dongle if necessary for complete redundancy. We are migrating our German division onto our servers in August so need reliable access.

Our IT Support company has stated a Vigor 2830. Would this be the best option for us or is there an updated product that would be more suited.

Also, on another point we have several Netgear wireless access points around the building. However these are being used by staff to stream media to phones etc.

What I am looking to do (but have no experience in doing so) is to try and setup three wireless networks, one for corporate stuff like directors iphones etc, one for all staff to use (with the bandwidth restricted or monitored) and one for visitors. It would be useful I suppose to have these on three different Ip address ranges?

Many thanks for your time in reading this and hopefully replying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2012 17:35 #72987 by jedi98
Replied by jedi98 on topic Re: Which do you recommend?
I would also look at the 2850 which can connect directly to VDSL (FTTC fibre) or use an ethernet port as WAN, also has ADSL port. The firewall speed is uprated and it has IPv6. But, also seek info on this forum about stability of the firmware for both 2830 and 2850 as I have seen various reports either way.

I have 2820 (2830's predecessor) using FTTC and this is fine apart from a long standing issue that I have never quite got to the bottom of where VOIP UDP ports connected permanently get lost after some time requiring a reboot every week or two (which I consider to be too often). It has never actually crashed or locked up.

More
30 Jul 2012 11:38 #73083 by jm_paulin
Replied by jm_paulin on topic Re: Which do you recommend?

I have 2820 (2830's predecessor) using FTTC and this is fine apart from a long standing issue that I have never quite got to the bottom of where VOIP UDP ports connected permanently get lost after some time requiring a reboot every week or two (which I consider to be too often). It has never actually crashed or locked up.

I had that same issue once I got upgraded to FTTC 80/20. sometime had to reboot twice a week. I then found out the 2820 firewall is limited at 50Mbps. My speedtest where also limited at around 50-55Mbps, despite a line sync at more than 70Mbps. So I can of wonder if in fact the 2820 was not simply struggling too much with the speed, and started to drop stuff.

I just moved up to a 2850, but too early to say if that is stable enough.

Moderators: Sami