DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820Vn Locking up

• whitenoise
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jul 2012 13:05 #73034 by whitenoise
2820Vn Locking up was created by whitenoise
I can't think of anything I have changed to my setup recently to have any effect on the router, but something is wrong. :cry:

I noticed that the wireless connection was sometimes dropping out and reconnecting, sometimes it would try to reconnect and ask for the key, (toggling computer wifi sorted this most times). - I checked the channels of the routers around me and changed to channel 1, (all 6/11 on the 5-6 routers around me), but I dont know if this has had a positive effect yet.

My main problem is that the router has just started locking up! I can be browsing when this happens, all of a sudden a page won't open - I try to connect to 192.168.1.1 and I get nothing, I go and check the router and all of the lights, (apart from the centre one), are lit up. It seems that the old OFF/ON fix seems to work and I get a usable router for another 24hrs+.....

This has only been happening for a week or so, before that the router had been working flawlessly, as far as I can tell. Here is the System info

Model Name : Vigor2820Vn
Firmware Version : 3.3.3_232201
Build Date/Time : Oct 23 2009 15:23:15
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Hardware: Annex A

One thing I am going to try.....I googled into a page somewhere that said other items on a power strip can cause lockups on these routers? Since I have a number of things connected, I am trying to organise my gear so I can plug the router into its own socket.

Any other ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2012 22:57 #73041 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: 2820Vn Locking up
After you re-organise and straighten out the power, I'd suggest that you take a note of all of your settings, then reflash the unit with the .rst file (you can stick with 3.3.3 if that serves you well) and reconfigue from scratch.

That may put you back to reliability if there has been some odd power issue - fingers crossed.

Regards, Neal

• whitenoise
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jul 2012 01:12 #73054 by whitenoise
Replied by whitenoise on topic 2820Vn Locking up
I haven't done much more than performing basic operations and setup, so find it tricky to problem solve this kind of issue. I ran an extension cable with just the router plugged into it, but unfortunately the router only lasted twelve hours or so this time! I'm thinking that it may have just been a coincidence, but it may take away the electrical problem idea.

This was my setup......

ROUTER port 2 - Sonos Bridge
ROUTER port 1 - 4 port switch connected to NAS, PC and Devolo DLAN 500AV plug....the DLAN plug comes out and hits another switch which is connected to my iMac and 2 NAS boxes.

I don't know if the switches at either end of this setup could cause a problem, or the fact that the iMac was connected via wifi and, (through the DLAN plugs), via the ethernet.

For now I have disconnected everything from the router apart from the pc to keep everything as simple as possible. I do still have several items connecting via wifi. My next step as you suggested, is to make a note of my settings, though the phrase "reflash the unit with the .rst file" is not something I have any knowledge about, so I will have to have a look around here and do some reading. :?

Have you got any further suggestions, now you know more about my setup? Thanks for your help. :wink:

More
27 Jul 2012 08:39 #73056 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: 2820Vn Locking up
It could be one of the devices you have connected that is causing the problem, try adding the devices to the network one at a time. There is a thread somewhere else on the forum about a particular laptop that is known to a have problem that causes it to crash the network not sure but it may have been a dell.

Howard

• whitenoise
  • Topic Author
More
31 Aug 2012 00:11 #73367 by whitenoise
Replied by whitenoise on topic Re: 2820Vn Locking up
So its been a while......

Work and just day to day stuff has left me with little time to go about sorting the problem, but it is still present. I have come to the conclusion it is my iMac that is causing the trouble. Whenever I turn it on or it wakes from sleep and connects to the router, I get the dropout. I am still able to use the iMac on the internet but I have to wait for the router to reboot or get restarted.

I have no idea what the problem is, but it hasn't happened until recently. I am thinking it could have started when I was using wifi and I connected using ethernet for a faster transfer speed. I had both connections on with no issues, but this is the only thing I can think of.....

I have since tried all sorts. I have left the iMac disconnected and have had no problems, but I have tried ethernet only and wifi only, and the issue persists.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Or how to go about fixing the issue. (Note that I have Snow Leopard on the main drive and also another fresh install on a thunderbolt external ssd drive, and it happens whichever drive I boot from. I believe I did use the ethernet and wifi in the same manner on both).

thanks

Moderators: Sami