DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2930 Static IP - reports Gateway IP is invalid when it's not

• daveturnbull
  • Topic Author
More
01 Aug 2012 10:19 #73122 by daveturnbull
I have a Vigor2930 router which I have been using for approx 2 yrs. It's come time to change to a new ISP, which of course means some new settings.

I have a static IP which I am setting up on WAN2 (for a seamless switchover) however the router seems to think my gateway IP is invalid. I know the details I have work fine as I have setup an old XP box with them and plugged it straight into the link.

This shows the settings I am inputting.

This shows what happens after I click 'OK'.

My guess is that there is a bug in the router firmware which means my gateway IP fails the validation check. I am using firmware version 3.3.0 which I believe is the latest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2012 11:16 #73125 by nealuk
Hello, if you leave it as DHCP do you still get issued with an IP - and if so are these details what you are expecting?

Firmware 3.3.1 has been out for a few month now. If you wish to change, I suggest you have a record of all setting in your 2930, change firmware using the .rst file, and reconfigure from scratch. ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2930/Firmware/v3.3.1/

Regards,

Neal.

• daveturnbull
  • Topic Author
More
01 Aug 2012 11:27 #73126 by daveturnbull
My ISP doesn't offer a DHCP option so I need to be able to specify the settings.

I'll try the firmware update and see how I get on. Is there anyone out there who has a similar router and can try putting in the details from my screenshot to see if they have the same problem when saving?

More
01 Aug 2012 19:07 #73134 by babis3g
try this
right box click obtain ip automatic
That how i have it with my static ip at wan 2 @ 2920 which is the same menus

If you click static ip (of course it works as well) you need to add mask and ip address

and of course try the new firmware

EDIT
you also need to go at wan general set up and enable wan 2 from there as well (in the case is been forgot general set up option)

also when you load new firmware do a power cycle
(take all cables even power supply from pc and router with the right order connected them back)

• daveturnbull
  • Topic Author
More
03 Aug 2012 11:07 #73140 by daveturnbull
For the future reference of anyone finding this thread, there was nothing wrong with the router, I had simply been given some duff details.

Here's why:

With a subnet of .248 there is no way my IP .171 and gateway .129 could ever be on the same network. For this to be the case a subnet of .192 or lower would be required. I asked my ISP to confirm the details and I should have been given / using a subnet of .128.

Here is a useful page that helps with subnet calcs. http://www.netxsys.com/useful/subnet-mask-table.html

Moderators: Sami