DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

IP Routed Subnet on WAN2 ... doesn't route!

• tenetics
  • Topic Author
More
07 Aug 2012 01:17 #73168 by tenetics
Hi All

Have a 2830 with ADSL and WAN2 going to a modem/bridge. I hope this makes sense ... I've tried to be reasonably clear!!

All works fine, load balancing is great ... apart from getting the IP Routed Subnet to work over WAN2.

On the IP Routed Subnet, I have 3 IPs - one as the router address (.99) and 2 being assigned via DHCP to other devices (.97 & .98). WAN2 itself has a router IP (.102) and 2 others used for port-forwarding (.101 & .100).

LAN port 2 is set to give out the 'WAN2' public IPs by DHCP .. which it dutifully does, but the devices on the other end can only ping the 'router' address (.99).

I've been given conflicting advice as to what to set the IP Routed Subnet's 'router' address to - initially I was told to set it to the WAN/router address (.102) - but this prevents LAN2LAN VPNs establishing over WAN2 and also prevents the admin interface being accessible from outside. When I give it its own IP address (.99), the VPNs work and so does the admin interface (although the last time I spoke to Draytek they advised against it).

I've applied the latest firmware, I've applied the .rst and reconfigured the router from scratch - no change.

I've even swapped the ADSL connections over, if I use the IP routed subnet on WAN1 instead (same IPs/settings just swapping the connections) it works fine.

The *only* logical conclusion I can come to is that the router simply doesn't know which WAN connection to route the IP addresses over - WAN2/PPoE doesn't ask for subnet information - just asks you to list the alias WAN IPs (note: I've excluded those in the IP Routed Subnet)

If anyone's come across this before, any suggestions very gratefully received!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tenetics
  • Topic Author
More
08 Aug 2012 17:03 #73179 by tenetics
I am getting no joy from anybody at Draytek and am now just becoming angry at the lack of intelligible documentation or access to assistance ....

I've noticed that if WAN1 isn't enabled, the clients on the IP Routed Subnet works. As soon as WAN1 is brought up, they lose connectivity to the internet.

I'm still not convinced that the router has any way of knowing which WAN connection to route traffic over when dealing with the IP Routed Subnet. Logic would state that because there's a subnet and WAN2 falls within that it'd use it. Draytek suggested creating a load balance policy, but I can't see that that would apply to public IPs ... in any case the default connection for traffic is WAN2.

How can I tell the router to send traffic from/to these public IPs over WAN2?

More
09 Aug 2012 01:15 #73182 by nealuk
Hello, I see you've said you've tried a firmware, which version number is it please? Thanks, Neal

Moderators: Sami