DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830, WAN Backup Issue

• torchydt
  • Topic Author
More
14 Aug 2012 17:15 #73210 by torchydt
2830, WAN Backup Issue was created by torchydt
Hi, Just upgraded from a 2820 to a 2830. I have two internet connections in my house, a Virgin cable one and a BT ADSL. The Virgin cable is my primary connection (it's much faster). However it is quite unreliable which is why I have always kept my old ADSL account active as a failover.

With my 2820 I had automated failover working beautifully. The ADSL line was WAN1 and its mode was set to 'Active on Demand' when WAN2 Failed. WAN2 (Virgin) had Connection Detection set via Ping detect. These settings were flawless. If the Virgin line went down the ADSL would connect.

The firmware is slightly different on the 2830 (I have 3.3.7.1). I have WAN1 (ADSL) set to 'Backup' mode and WAN2 (Virgin) 'Always On'. I still have Connection Detection for WAN2 set via Ping detect. However....

If I turn off WAN2, WAN1 won't kick in. It starts the PPP startup but as soon as it connects it then shutdowns again (it's almost instantaneous and seems to loop through this). However if I set WAN1 to 'Always On' and just start it manually then it 'sticks' so the connection, passwords etc. are all working okay.

Does anyone have any ideas about what else I might check and/or what might be going wrong?

Thanks,

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• torchydt
  • Topic Author
More
14 Aug 2012 18:06 #73211 by torchydt
Replied by torchydt on topic Re: 2830, WAN Backup Issue
Don't worry folks. Have fixed it! Thanks anyway :)

More
29 Nov 2012 11:16 #74381 by mattiegreen
Replied by mattiegreen on topic Re: 2830, WAN Backup Issue
What did you have to do to fix this out of interest?

Moderators: Sami