2750VN USB Hard Drive Access Problem

• trevor matthews
  • Topic Author
More
25 Aug 2012 23:47 #73314 by trevor matthews
2750VN USB Hard Drive Access Problem was created by trevor matthews
Hi all

Pulling my hair out here.
After getting the router to connect to BT Infinity and seeing that Draytek just updated their web-site to say you can connect NTFS drives, I now have a 1.5Tb USB drive connected to the router with a test folder and file on it.

I have added myself as an FTP user with FTP ticked, I also appear in the User Configuration with FTP ticked in green.
I have gone to NAT and added a port forward that says Port 21 and local host 192.168.1.1

I can now access the hard drive and file by using Filezilla, I can also access the file by typing in ftp://.webaddress.co.uk in any browser.
User name and password works perfectly. I am using a laptop connected with a lan cable.

However, I can not access the hard drive from the outside world.

Any ideas how to access the files from another location?
I have gone through the settings and just can't see why this won't work externally.

I feel I am missing something very stupid.

Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trevor matthews
  • Topic Author
More
26 Aug 2012 14:58 #73318 by trevor matthews
Replied by trevor matthews on topic Re: 2750VN USB Hard Drive Access Problem
I was missing something very stupid..... It is called BT :twisted:

Well, after wasting hours on this problem it seems that BT are causing the problem by somehow stopping the connection, they obviously don't like you using ftp at home. :evil:

HTTPS etc all work fine from the internet.

I also tried mapping another port like 12345 to 21 but while this works locally it still won't from the internet.

I see dyndns.org offer a web hop service to get around these issues.
Looks like I will have to investigate their options.

If not I may have to go back to my original plan to use a separate ubuntu server with software to suit.

The original problem was that the required port would not open on the BT Home hub.
Hence the 2750 purchase.

Well it certainly is a learning curve and a half :shock:

Hopefully this might help someone buying one of these for BT Infinity.....................

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami