Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820n & 3g Modem Issues

• trma97
  • Topic Author
More
29 Aug 2012 20:56 #73357 by trma97
Vigor 2820n & 3g Modem Issues was created by trma97
Hi,

My company has a shed load of Vigor 2820n's and I will be the first to say they are great bits of kit. I have a private project I have been working on and was hoping to harness one of these 2820's to setup a mobile WiFi network that can be used for network file storage on a laptop server and sharing of a mobile broadband connection.

I have a ZTE MF112 Three Mobile Broadband Dongle and have followed the step by step directions on the Mikey's guide on the site, but everytime I conect the modem to the USB ports on the 2820, it has a hissy fit and repeatedly reboots itself until the modem is removed.

I have the latest firmware on the box and cannot understand what is going wrong, I even managed to get another brand new modem (same Model) and the router does it with this as well so we can rule out a dud dongle.

I hope someone out there can help me before I lose all my hair :)

Thanks in advance.

Tris.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2012 00:45 #73361 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Vigor 2820n & 3g Modem Issues
well, i get a similar problem but when i connect an external hard drive. i've contacted draytek uk about this and harry's passed this on to 3rd level support for investigation. maybe you should get in touch with draytek uk support to have it investigated, too.

More
04 Sep 2012 17:23 #73396 by spe
Replied by spe on topic Re: Vigor 2820n & 3g Modem Issues
I don't have that model of dongle, but can confirm that all three of my Hauwei dongles work fine in the 2820vn.

Maybe its a problem specific to the ZTE unit initialisations.

What I did find with my oldest Hauwei unit (169G) was that I had to configure it on a PC first, and make an initial connection from a PC to get the modem working. Once I had done this it would work fine on the 2820vn. Until I did this PC step it just kept trying to find a network and failing. So there's something that the firmware from caching on the device that was being set on the PC first. Your ZTE may also need to be initialised on a PC?

Moderators: Sami