DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 Dual WAN BT ADSL+ and Virgin Fibre

• gadgetmva
  • Topic Author
More
05 Sep 2012 21:44 #73414 by gadgetmva
2820 Dual WAN BT ADSL+ and Virgin Fibre was created by gadgetmva
Sorry if this has been asked before but .....

I'm on BT ADSL+ and it doesn't look like I'll get Infinity this side of the grave.

So, I thought to myself, stuff 'em I'll get Virgin's The Biz but ............ no static IP.

Now. Can I set up the router such that my server alone is served by the ADSL with it's static IP and the rest of the clients use the Virgin Fibre for something approaching decent performance?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2012 10:07 #73415 by j03y
Yes we do this at my office for a web server. I have setup Firewall > General Setup > Default Rule to use our "internet" WAN only. In your case select WAN2.

If you do just that then your server will also use the Virgin Media line by default for any upload/download tasks that it initiates. Any connections made to your server through the static IP on your ADSL line will still use WAN1 as you wanted. The advantage of this is that you can use both lines to load balance traffic and speed up certain tasks. Not sure what you use the server for but you might find that useful.

If you need/want your server to exclusively use your ADSL set a firewall rule under Firewall > Filter Setup.

Casual observation but the firewall performance of the 2820 will not be sufficient to allow the full speed of Virgin media dpending on which packet you have. Without looking into it the 2820 is limited to 50 mb/s through the firewall which might limit your speed depending on which package you have.

Hope that helps.

• gadgetmva
  • Topic Author
More
06 Sep 2012 10:17 #73416 by gadgetmva
Replied by gadgetmva on topic Re: 2820 Dual WAN BT ADSL+ and Virgin Fibre
Hi J03y

Thanks for the help. I think I can do it with the load balancing as well but at least I know there's another option.

The server has the email server for two domains and inbound/outbound VPN hence the need for static IP and directing appropriate incoming traffic.

Cheers

David

• gadgetmva
  • Topic Author
More
07 Sep 2012 08:34 #73425 by gadgetmva
Replied by gadgetmva on topic Re: 2820 Dual WAN BT ADSL+ and Virgin Fibre
Moving on from the techie side of this .......

The word on the street is my 2820 hasn't the throughput for 100/120Mb fibre so which router to buy?

I need:

Dual WAN (ADSL and Ethernet) preferably with failover to 3G.
Wireless
VPN

My options seem to be

2830N
2850N

Apart from the VDSL what's the difference?

More
07 Sep 2012 11:16 #73427 by j03y
I had a brief look at Draytek's router comparison chart and performance wise both the 2830 and 2850 models are similar. Either should do for you really. I'd have a look at the specifications page and make sure there's no new features exlusive to the 2850 you'd use.

More
07 Sep 2012 12:26 #73429 by jedi98
Replied by jedi98 on topic Re: 2820 Dual WAN BT ADSL+ and Virgin Fibre
Just FYI, I have "Upto 76/19M" (80/20) FTTC service and I can get the full 76Mbps through my 2820n via WAN2 (using a wired port, I don't trust wireless throughput because it's usually up a tree regardless of what router I use). I get 16.5Mbps upload, which I think is the line maxing out. QOS turned off.

This was a pleasant surprise to me.

Moderators: Sami