DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Anyone hosting a website on BT Infinity with a 2850 ?

• winsbury
  • Topic Author
More
07 Sep 2012 15:59 #73434 by winsbury
We run a small business and pay a small fortune in hosting fees for a dedicated server with multiple static IPs, one for each website (we cant use virtual addressing because of security certification issues.) BT infinity for business is now available in our area so I'm considering having a new business line installed with unlimited use Infinity with multiple static IPs to host our websites internally. Over 3 years this would approximately halve our annual hosting and internet costs even taking into account the cost of purchasing hardware.

The topology I propose would be:

BT Infinity --> 2850 router --> port 1: DMZ with web hosts, port 2: firewalled LAN
(ie NOT using the supplied infinity hub)

So the questions:

1. Is anyone doing something similar already, if so does it work and what equipment are you using ?
2. Is BT Infinity / 2850 proving reliable enough to host small e-commerce sites ?
3. Can the 2850 support the routing & firewalling functionality required ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2012 18:59 #73496 by nealuk
The only light I can shed on this is that I know that BT charge £5 up a month for a Static IP on infinity, and probably more for an IP block. I think your topology is ok, but the 2850 and inifinity service still seem to be having a few teething issues - so I personally would hold off for now.

Best regards, Neal

• winsbury
  • Topic Author
More
17 Sep 2012 12:33 #73526 by winsbury
BT have quoted a block of 5 IPs for the same price as one - we would be installing a new business line on which to run the service so I dont know if that makes much difference.

Moderators: Sami