DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850 firmware 3.6.2 throughput speeds 50% down

• regisit
  • Topic Author
More
10 Sep 2012 12:13 #73448 by regisit
Anyone else having problems with the 2850 3.6.2 firmware (ADSL)?

Updated 10 days ago and since have seen a 50% reduction in throughput on ADSL (no fibre here yet!). Not on DSL sync (that stays the same), but on throughput as measured by various speed test sites, both up and down. It's played havoc with my VOIP service with customers complaining I'm cutting out. The default modem code (as supplied from the download link) is 2471201 but I've always found 232201 to be better. I tried the 3.6.2_232201 code (from the FTP site) but no improvement. I reverted back to 3.3.6.1_232201 and immediately throughput speeds returned to normal. So seems to be an issue with this firmware version.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2012 02:01 #73472 by babis3g
Did not had any speed issues with the 3.6.2 and any firmware code i tried

there is a beta 3.6.3 to try if you have time
I got less ping with this beta (adsl connection)
Here my tests and at last posts the link at the polish side for the beta
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17573&p=73471#p73471

• regisit
  • Topic Author
More
02 Oct 2012 17:24 #73716 by regisit
UPDATE: the problem is caused by an unexpected change Draytek have made to QoS.

As is normal, we expect QoS to prioritise a class of traffic e.g. VOIP. That's how it allegedly worked in previous versions. In this version, they have decided to segment traffic instead of prioritising it. So instead of reserving a percentage of bandwidth for a class of traffic if it's needed during busy periods, they are permanently reserving the defined bandwidth making it unavailable for normal traffic. I had configured a good chunk for VOIP traffic so this would always get all the bandwidth it needed when it needed it, but that meant that bandwidth was no longer available for normal traffic regardless of whether VOIP needed it.

To me this is plain wrong. Some might want the option to segment traffic in this way and have dedicated bandwidth for some classes of traffic, but more usual is to just prioritise traffic when needed, leaving the full bandwidth available when there is no priority traffic.

As it stands, there appears to be no way around this other than to either accept a chunk of bandwidth is being permanently wasted or turn off QoS.

I'm still waiting from a response from Global support.

More
25 Feb 2013 10:12 #75320 by mozza
Did you ever get your response from global support?.... interested in knowing the outcome as moving from a 2820 to 2850vn for the voip.

Moderators: Sami