DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor120 and 2930 - randomly dropping connection

• eddscott
  • Topic Author
More
19 Sep 2012 14:14 #73559 by eddscott
I have a Vigor120 and a Vigor 2930 and the internet connection keeps randomly dropping out. Could be a couple of minutes or could be as much as an hour but it will drop the connection. When it is up the connection speed is either as normal or very slow. I've tried a ping test and BB speedtest and all seem fine.

The only thing that was changed yesterday was that one of the laptops couldn’t log into the router wirelessly so the security key was changed. Other than that nothing else was changed and having reset both machines anything that was changed should be back to factory. All the desktops are wired connections.

Spoken to the ISP Eclipse and they’ve done a line test and all is well.

I’ve reset both and only input the ISP user/pass and the Fixed IP address and it has made no difference.

When looking at WAN1 status it either says PPP Starting PP Shutdown or occasionally PPoE No Response From Server Side. When it does drop the connection it takes for ages in the PPP Starting phase for it to actually re-connect.

I simply can’t work out what is going on.

One thing I find annoying is that I can access the 120 through 192.168.2.1 but when I connect the 2930, I can no longer access the 120. It would help to be able to see the 120 config page to see what is going on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2012 16:26 #73565 by nealuk
Hi,

do you know which hardware version of the 120 you have?

There is a Draytek Vigor 120 V1 (simply marked as Draytek Vigor 120) and a Draytek Vigor 120 V2.

Please could you report which version of firmware you have on the Vigor 120?

Also, your ISP service, is it ADSL2+ Annex M or something else? Around 4 years ago the power supply shipped with the 120s was duff, and didn't provide enough oooomph for Annex M which caused drops.

It is normal that you can't access the 120 through at 192.168.2.1 when the 2930 is connected - sorry!

Regards, Neal

• eddscott
  • Topic Author
More
20 Sep 2012 09:42 #73573 by eddscott
Hi Neal,

Thanks for the reply.

The Version number of the 120 is 3.2.6. The box doesn't say V2 but when on its config page the version says 3.2.6 120 V2. Build 32133_A The 2930vn is 3.3.1.1

As an experiment I used WAN2 port rather than WAN1 and it stayed up for hours but its still dropping out. Changed network cables, changed telephone cable and still the same random dropping.

My problem now is that since re-setting the 2930 I've lost all the settings to connect to our remote offices (all on 2710s) and although I took screen dumps of each page before re-setting none of them will re-connect. The only one that re-connects is the 2710 at my house! Nothing has been changed on the other routers but they still won't connect! My house is 2.1 the offices are 3.1, 4.1. etc Its very frustrating!!!

EDIT - I brought my 2710 from home and hooked it up and seems steady enough. I set the 2710 as pass through and hooked in the 2930. Again seems OK so far. Will leave overnight and see what happens. Thinking the 120 may by faulty.

As for the connections very strangely one is now working but the others refuse to work - do you have to click the dial button on the remote 2710 to initiate the connection?

• eddscott
  • Topic Author
More
24 Sep 2012 11:31 #73616 by eddscott
Received RMA number for the 120 - interesting to see if what they find.

Decided to buy a 2830vn and took 5 minutes to setup and re-connect all the remote offices. All settings just as the 2930 but no complaints from any of the other routers.

• eddscott
  • Topic Author
More
01 Oct 2012 15:03 #73693 by eddscott
Thought it might be helpful to post the 120 was faulty - don't know why and Draytek replaced the 120 - the replacement looks 2nd hand but if it works then I'm not fussed. Impressed with the turn around time too.

More
01 Oct 2012 21:36 #73696 by akk999
Was the fault on the 120 specifically identified and confirmed? I, and a few others, have posted similar dropout behaviour encountered in the last month or so when using the 120 with an Apple Airport Extreme. In my case the error just started, with no changes to config., firmware or other hardware on a configuration that had been rock solid for months. Any clues would be helpful or any tests to verify the 120 status.

Moderators: Sami