DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Serious problems with all 7 Vigor 2830n units

More
01 Oct 2012 18:33 #73695 by rimmerhg
Hi,

I am very interested in this post as I have 2 x 2850n running 3.3.6.1 and 3.3.6.2 doing the same re-booting at random and not responding to admin login, the 2850n 3.3.6.1 was installed in March 2012 replacing 2820vn and worked fine until Aug this year so it was replaced with a new 2850n with the later firmware 3.3.6.2 but after 2 hours started doing the same. Have reverted to 2820vn to keep the client happy !!!!!!! PS the units re-boot in my workshop, so it is not an envorment problem or power supply issue as these have been replaced with stock units.

Any help would be much appreciated,

:cry: :cry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2012 12:42 #73707 by sicon
Has the 3.3.7 firmware made them any better?

• vmgscot
  • Topic Author
More
03 Oct 2012 10:24 #73725 by vmgscot
No firmware and bootloder updates have NOT fixed the issue.... still getting random restarts sveral times a day.
Not had a complete lockup yet but that can take several days to a week to happen.

More
03 Oct 2012 13:50 #73727 by adminx
Time is money.

I appreciate I could take this up with Draytek support.

My solution was far simpler.

I've ditched the 2830 routers completely and put an old 2930 in behind a 120 modem.

Response times are vastly improved in both directions. It has sat there for a week solid without so much as a twitch and with no dropped VPN tunnels as a result of locking up. Basically it's doing exactly what I expect a router to do.

To be clear, I used the same filter and modem cable that was feeding the 2830 to plug into the 120 modem, and the Ethernet cable that shipped with the 120 modem joins it to the old 2930. So the original cabling and filter that connected the 2830 to the telephone outlet is still being used with the 120 modem. Cabling is the same, devices are different, problem is gone.

Go figure.

If I get the time and inclination I will chase up Draytek support regarding the 2830 devices; I have no real desire to invest significant resources, namely, my time, in testing possible solutions though, and even if I did it would entail taking out a working device to test a suspect one for a week or two at a time. Frankly, since I only have two of them I'd rather scrap them and get on with more important things.

I will check in now and then to see whether any developments come along that address the issues but, in the meantime, good luck to other 2830 users.

More
03 Oct 2012 14:48 #73728 by toph3r
If you fancy sending one to a good home, let me know, as i have use for one!

• vmgscot
  • Topic Author
More
08 Oct 2012 08:50 #73767 by vmgscot
To <admin> - I am happy to try and work with support to resolve this but there is very little communication coming out of them. Only one suggestion so far (reflash bootloader) and that did not work. I have emailed several times now asking for suggestions on what to do next (setup some sort of monitoring, gather data for them, etc) and get no response from support at all.

It's a shame as I installed many older 2820 units and found them a good router but I am now under (understandable) pressure from the Directors to dump the Draytek 2830 routers as this is causing us no end of issues.

If only support would actually communicate and assist!

Moderators: Sami