Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2820 and torrents

• steveharding
  • Topic Author
More
29 Sep 2012 10:51 #73675 by steveharding
Draytek 2820 and torrents was created by steveharding
Morning all!

My draytek 2820n maybe starting to show its age however I thought I would ask on here before I dig deep into my pocket and replace it.

For the last 3 years we have been on Be ADSL broadband, the router behaved itself and was spot on, with a max download speed of ~6Mbits. Torrents and other downloads seem to cope well with no issues.

However in the last 4 months we migrated to Zen FTTC product and are now getting 65Mbit down and 20Mbit up with the same Draytek 2820n connected via the ethernet socket to the BT VDSL model. All seems to work, and downloading from a single source maxes out at 7-8MB/s. All other machines on the network dont really seem effected and are able to access the net file.

However, if I try and download a torret, the torrent maxes out each time at 3.5MB/s and causes all the machines on the network trying to get onto the net to grind to a halt, even as far as kicking people of MSN!!

I have a monowall box somewhere and I was going to see if I can pop it into the Drayteks 2820 place to see if that changes anything, but just wondering if anybody else has experianced the same issue. According to Zen there are no traffic filters what so ever and that I should be able to see maximum bandwidth (when available) on torrents as well.

The router setup is basic, only a couple of firewall rules (DNS and SMTP blocks), QoS turned off and a couple of site to site VPN's which are bearly tickeled and the latest firmware.

Anybody else experiance the same issues??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2012 08:16 #73749 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Draytek 2820 and torrents
I use a Vigor2820n on BT Infinity (via WAN2) and it works fine, but I don't use Torrents as I prefer to pay for my DVDs and music, but I think torrents open a lot of ports and possibly the V2820 is more limited on concurrent connections particularly at high speed. Why not connect your PC directly to the BT modem temporarily to elimiate the Vigor ?

(n.b. I appreciate that you may be using Torrents for Linux builds or other legit purposes, rather than movies).

Forum Administrator

• steveharding
  • Topic Author
More
05 Oct 2012 10:09 #73750 by steveharding
Replied by steveharding on topic Re: Draytek 2820 and torrents

admin wrote: I use a Vigor2820n on BT Infinity (via WAN2) and it works fine, but I don't use Torrents as I prefer to pay for my DVDs and music, but I think torrents open a lot of ports and possibly the V2820 is more limited on concurrent connections particularly at high speed. Why not connect your PC directly to the BT modem temporarily to elimiate the Vigor ?

(n.b. I appreciate that you may be using Torrents for Linux builds or other legit purposes, rather than movies).

Thanks for your reply. I should really get around to trying my monowall box. Seen a few suggestions that resetting the thing and starting from scratch has also improved things.

If it does turn out to be the 2820, i have seen that Zen support the dual eth wan 2920n with one of the ports being 1Gb. I am guesting that's going have a better support for a large number of concurrent connections, and much more headroom on the WAN port to cope with the higher speeds and maybe more NAT sessions...

More
11 Oct 2012 04:54 #73794 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Draytek 2820 and torrents
The Vigor 2850 is a newer platform than Vigor2920 and supports more concurrent connections, and has the VDSL built in, so you might want to consider that.

Forum Administrator

• steveharding
  • Topic Author
More
13 Oct 2012 16:23 #73834 by steveharding
Replied by steveharding on topic Re: Draytek 2820 and torrents
Thanks, will keep it in mind

Well I managed to get around to resetting my router after downloading at 7.5MB/s non torrent and suffering similar issues, uploaded the latest firmware with a RST file to reset it to factory settings and moved forward with restoring settings manualy - not from backup.

Initial tests show that I have gained a couple MB/s on torrents (still not maxing out) but on the positive side it seem as though its not causing the ill effects that were spied (laggy web browsing from other machines/draytek itself).

Will keep an eye on it. I can live without maxing out on torrents, speed is reasonable anyway from it - 3-4MB, but I did see 5MB for a bit so it could have been the torrent itself (although I would have thought Fedora 17 DVD ISO would have been quite popular!).

I have just remembered about the sessions and bandwidth limit options so may look at those if it starts playing up again.

More
01 Nov 2012 14:52 #73996 by neogeo
Replied by neogeo on topic Re: Draytek 2820 and torrents
have you tried disabling your ddos/dos protection settings in the draytek

Moderators: Sami