DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Load balancing a satellite DSL with a slow ADSL line

• richardbarker
  • Topic Author
More
04 Oct 2012 18:32 #1 by richardbarker
I have really slow ADSL - 1.5Mb/s down and .34 up, so am looking to upgrade my Draytek Router to a Dual WAN one (possibly a Vigor 2850)and make the second Internet connection a Satellite system - a Tooway12 which would run at 12 Mb/s down 4Mb/s up - but with a latency. The idea is to do most of my downloads via the satellite and use the ADSL line for Voice and other interactive stuff.

1. Has anyone done it and how good is the load balancing policy? What useful things can I direct to which channel? I have no GB volume limit on the slower ADSL, but will have a limit of 16GB per month on the Tooway12

2. Has anyone any experience of using a .34 Mb/s up speed to use say the Draytek Vigor IPPBX 2820N IP-PBX for a VOIP solution using a max concurrency of 2 or 3 voice channels? And if so who would you recommend as a SIP supplier? (BT and Spitfire reckon my ADSL line is not fast enough) I am also trying to replace my ISDN based phone system

We have a farm miles away from the Telecoms switchboard with no chance of ADSL2, fibre or any other solution/ Leased lines and bonded lines cost too much

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami