Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 3900 WAN Failover issues

• holtehero
  • Topic Author
More
05 Oct 2012 17:23 #1 by holtehero
Vigor 3900 WAN Failover issues was created by holtehero
Hi All,

I am in the process of configuring a 3900 in a data centre and seem to be having all sorts of problems with getting Failover between WAN1 and WAN2 profiles, we have 3 public IPs which are routed too from the ISPs switch. For purposes here I will use sample IP addresses

We have created the profiles as follows:

WAN1

IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Mask: 255.255.255.0
IP Alias: 192.1.168.1
Default MAC address

WAN2
IP Address: 192.168.1.3
Mask: 255.255.255.0
IP Alias: 192.1.168.1
MAC address spoofing WAN1 profile

We have then

[*] Created a Load Balance Pool called Failover of the "failover" type and specified WAN1 and primary and WAN2 as backup
[*] Set the WAN default route as the load balance pool

Now we seem to be having roblems with the interfaces ping ponging up and down, we currently have the connection mode as ARP, but could easily set it too PING and set the detection host as the local DNS servers

Questions

1. Which detection mode is best to use (ARP or Ping) also for PING you can give a "Connection Detection Interval" but nowhere can I find what this interval is, is it ms, seconds, minutes?
2. Have we mistaken the meaning of IP Alias for the interface as looking at the ability to give two different physical interfaces a common Virtual IP (in the data centre this IP is routed too by both upstream switches)
3. Do we need a "Failover" load balance rule as well as specifying the Pool, as the documentation kind of suggests you only need one if you don't have the default rule set.
4. Could we just be give both WAN ports the same IP address and MAC address and leave out the Alias altogether?

Any light anyone can shed would be gratefully received as the documentation, isn't very explanatory to alot of the meanings

Cheers

Holte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami