DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Connecting to WAN2 on Vigor 2820vn - something's not right

• itbloke
  • Topic Author
More
08 Oct 2012 10:55 #73768 by itbloke
I'm having trouble connecting a Netgear DG834G modem to the WAN2 port of my Vigor 2820vn.

To give some background, we have 2 ADSL2+ lines (provided by the same ISP) and the Vigor is successfully connected to one of them, providing around 19Mbps downstream. The other modem is a Netgear DG834G which has separately been set up correctly and provides a similar performance.

However, I can't get it set up correctly on WAN2 of the Vigor. Here's what I've done so far:

• Verified that the Netgear is working by connecting it to a standalone computer
    Disabled DHCP on the Netgear as that is handled by the Vigor
    Assigned a static internal IP to the Netgear within the same subnet
    Attempted to follow the instructions in the Vigor's User Guide for configuring WAN2
    Tried a number of variations in the 'Static or Dynamic IP' section but to no avail
    PPPoE is currently disabled in WAN2

Can anyone tell me which IP addresses I need to enter in the various fields under 'Static or Dynamic IP'? I've been allocated a static (external) IP address by my ISP which is currently set in the Netgear modem. Essentially, what I need to know is: which IP do I need to put into the 'IP address' and 'Gateway IP' fields?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2012 19:00 #73773 by the pit
Silly question have you set the Netgear to be a modem only?

More
08 Oct 2012 22:21 #73775 by rothers
And if you haven't then leave the Netgear DHCP enabled or how does the vigor get it's WAN IP ? Not good though as you'll be double NATed.

• itbloke
  • Topic Author
More
09 Oct 2012 13:45 #73778 by itbloke

rothers wrote: And if you haven't then leave the Netgear DHCP enabled or how does the vigor get it's WAN IP ? Not good though as you'll be double NATed.

I can easily re-enable DHCP on the Netgear. How do I prevent double NATing?

Moderators: Sami