• Topic Author
More
10 Oct 2012 12:31 #1 by nadamp
Got this setup for a customer:

* Vigor 2830
* BT phoneline plugged into WAN1
* Netgear MBR624GU 3G Router plugged into WAN2
* Nothing in WAN3

We are still using the Netgear 3G router rather than plugging the dongle directly into the Vigor because the 3G signal is best up in a loft, two floors above the comms room. However, the BT line comes into the comms room so we need to have the Vigor there since there's no BT socket in the loft.

Since they're very far from the exchange the BT service is pretty poor so we've got WAN2 (3G) set as the preferred service for load-balancing but this frequently drops out completely.

The Vigor fails over nicely if we remove the 3G router's ethernet cable BUT it seems it's not failing over at all if the 3G router has a connection problem.

I notice that in the Load Balancing section there are "Protocol" settings that are currently set to "All".

Is it possible that changing one of these settings will cause the Vigor to recognise the loss of Internet via the 3G router and fail over to the slower BT line?

I am pretty much a "noob" at all of this so my sincerest apologies if these are very basic questions!

Thanks,
Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami