DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

RDP Freezing via VPN connection

• rp8049
  • Topic Author
More
11 Oct 2012 12:56 #73799 by rp8049
RDP Freezing via VPN connection was created by rp8049
I've got a 2820vn router that I've been using for the last couple of years, and it's always had problems when I connect with my work laptop to my work network (via a cisco desktop vpn client) and then RDP to my workstation within that network. As soon as it encounters anything with reasonable graphics (like bbc website) it starts to pain the page and then freezes at various points, and won't come back to life until I kill the RDP client and connect again, and even at that point it will only sometimes render the full screen and carry on working, a lot of the time it just can't render it all properly.

I got out the sky netgear router that they sent me when I originally moved to Sky ADSL, and if I use that, rather than the 2820, I can connect no problem - no freezes or anthing. Similarly if I use my phone as an access point and share it's internet connection, no problems. So I know that the problem lies somewhere in the router itself. I've tried the latest firmware, I've opened up the relevant ports, switched off the inbuild VPN features in case they are causing a problem, I even put the laptop in the DMZ, but nothing helps.

Is there any way of solving this, or is it just time to give up on Draytek and find another router which works properly?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rp8049
  • Topic Author
More
11 Oct 2012 15:53 #73802 by rp8049
Replied by rp8049 on topic Re: RDP Freezing via VPN connection
So I must say I'm impressed with the support response - just had an email back about this issue (only a couple of ours turnaround) suggesting disabling the DoS filter in the firewall to see if that improved things and sure enough, it seems to have solved the problem. So I'm just waiting on a response now as to whether there is a way to enable the DoS and just tweak the settings and still have RDP run properly. But at least there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami