DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2850vn VDSL Upload Speeds Bad

• e.s
  • Topic Author
More
03 Nov 2012 21:16 #74018 by e.s
I was just wondering if anyone else is having problems similar to me when using the internal VDSL modem of the 2850vn.

My problem relates to the upload and download speeds, when connected using the BT FTTC Modem I get a decent 64mbps down and 14MBPS up as I live 500metres away from the cab.

I sync at 20mbps on the upload so why I only get 14 I dunno, but that isnt a problem.

The problem is on the Vigor2850vn I only get like 5mbps upload and between 55-57mbps download, thats a huge difference compared to the BT modems upload speeds and a fair difference on the download speeds also.

When using PPPoE the router works perfect and gives me the speed that the BT Modem is giving out, but using it that way is not the reason I bought it for, I want to get the BT modem out of the loop, but their is no way I can do that at the moment with dodgy cuts in speeds simply by using a different modem. I know different routers give different speeds as over the years I have tried many, but never have I seen such a drastic cut in speed caused simply by changing modem/routers.

Does anyone else see this with their VDSL modems on the same or other draytek devices ? because at the moment and I hate to say this, but it looks like I have wasted 250 quid when I could of just went out and bought a standalone router instead, which would of cost me alot less than 250 quid that I paid for this combo modem/router.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2012 00:42 #74026 by shadow777
Replied by shadow777 on topic Re: Vigor2850vn VDSL Upload Speeds Bad
Have the same issue. Upload is limited to 10 Mbits, and on HH I'm getting 15-17 Mbits.

Any setting that we can change to make it work ??

More
05 Nov 2012 10:53 #74040 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Vigor2850vn VDSL Upload Speeds Bad
i am going to say something silly to try (any way is nothing to lost) but i have seen members at bt forums with the 2750 was affecting drops(the last firmwares)...so can you change the time from web browser to server via internet OR rice versa?then reboot manually
Not sure if will help with upload but some stated was synnchronized better
System Maintenance >> Time and Date

More
05 Nov 2012 11:36 #74043 by shadow777
Replied by shadow777 on topic Re: Vigor2850vn VDSL Upload Speeds Bad
Tried that.

My time is set to be updated from NTP server: pool.ntp.org

So this advise didn't help...

Any others ??

More
05 Nov 2012 12:11 #74047 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Vigor2850vn VDSL Upload Speeds Bad
one last advise from me
at ftp draytek pl ... is one beta 3.6.3 rc1 to try but in mean time these settings
VDSL2 Profile click the 30a only
G.hs Carrier Set click B43
bit swap off

also disable DOS
EDIT also QoS

reboot manually

IMPORTAND
as something wrong with the vdsl internal modem after rebooted ... if the vdsl light flashing ... reboot again until will not flash
i know this causing noise in the line(from my own experiment)

Now leave it few days this way (if you see a very small improvement but the settings mentioned up) because the dsl in cabinet need to see stable connection to go up so needs few days so after few days reboot again if will go up more

• e.s
  • Topic Author
More
06 Nov 2012 02:02 #74070 by e.s
Replied by e.s on topic Re: Vigor2850vn VDSL Upload Speeds Bad
As i mentioned earlier, I am being forced to use the 2850vn via PPPoE, but you did mention something that I have noticed.

With ALL the other wan ports disabled and with me using PPPoE, why does the VDSL light constantly flash when as far as the router is aware I am not using VDSL.

The VDSL light has always flashed on my box, the only time that it never flashed was for the two days that I had the thing connected to ADSL2 before being regraded to fibre.

If I set WAN one to ADSL only then every minute or so the ADSL modem makes a clicking sound but the vdsl light doesnt flash, this is with WAN 1 disabled, or if I set it to VDSL only, the light will always flash even if wan1 is disabled and if I set it to auto the VDSL light will constantly flash. Basically, i can have either flashing vdsl light or clicking adsl modem, even though its meant to be disabled.

I use Wan 2 with wan 1 and 3 disabled, wan 4 only shows up if i enable dual dsl, but for all intents purposes only wan2 is enabled, so why would a disabled wan one port still have flashing lights or clicking adsl modem when disabled?

I have emailed support twice about different issues and never had a human reply yet, my first email was over a week ago and the second was last week, not impressed, but maybe they are flooded by emails from ppl with similar issues ?

Seriously looking at Billion as a replacement if I cant get this figured out, sell it on ebay for 150 as i doubt i will get more than that even if it is just one month old. I dont want to do that, i would rather keep the thing even if it was just a mbit or two slower than the bt modem.

Please DrayTek, please help us find an answer asto why the upload speeds are terrible, a 10 mbit difference is not something that can be ignored and by the looks of it, many ppl here and on other forums are having the same problem, its either a BT problem or a draytek one.

I will try your suggestion about profiles and bit swap tomorrow, hopefully that might lead to a fix ? Hopefully we will get to the bottom of it sooner or later.

Something I did notice though,if logging to a usb stick, i get about a 5-6mbit drop in download speeds, so for any of you who have logging enabled and are noticing slight speed degradation then try disabling it as it is obviously eating up valuable cpu cycles.

Moderators: Sami