DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Can't ping my static IP address within my network

• buddylove_123
  • Topic Author
More
10 Nov 2012 10:14 #74140 by buddylove_123
Hello,

How can I ping my static IP address within my own intranet, it works outside my network?

I have the router Vigor2830 series.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2012 10:24 #74141 by niggly54
Not quite sure what you are trying to do- but from another pc on the same network and depending on your operating system (assume Windows) then from a command window (cmd.exe) you should be able to run the command "ping XXX.XXX.XXX.X" where the x's are the IP address of the machine you are trying to locate.

• buddylove_123
  • Topic Author
More
10 Nov 2012 10:27 #74142 by buddylove_123
Replied by buddylove_123 on topic Re: Can't ping my static IP address within my network
Thank you for the reply,

I'm trying to ping my static IP address and that is not pinged within my network, but I can ping it externally.

More
10 Nov 2012 10:37 #74143 by niggly54
I think I see what you are trying to do. I presume the static IP address you refer to is your external facing address allocated by your ISP. The router uses NAT (network address translation) to isolate your outward facing WAN from your internal LAN. You can ping your fixed IP externally because it is on the WAN side of your network and you cannot see it from your internal network (LAN).
Hope this helps.

• buddylove_123
  • Topic Author
More
10 Nov 2012 10:40 #74144 by buddylove_123
Replied by buddylove_123 on topic Re: Can't ping my static IP address within my network
Thanks for your reply,

Correct that is exactly what the problem is but I do need to ping my static IP address as its used to host my WWW website. I could just ping the local facing address.

More
10 Nov 2012 11:06 #74145 by niggly54
This may help:

http://serverfault.com/questions/216569/cant-ping-static-ip-from-internal-network-only-from-outside

Moderators: Sami