DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820 secondary connection

• monty2
  • Topic Author
More
12 Nov 2012 11:49 #74166 by monty2
Vigor 2820 secondary connection was created by monty2
Hi can the secondary WAN port be used as the primary connection ?
Or would I need too do some sort of load balancing and weight it so as traffic all ways used the secondary WAN port
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2012 00:00 #74175 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Vigor 2820 secondary connection
hi
i have the 2850 but is the same menus so can work

I have both connections and i am using the wan 2 as main connection
here how

general set up wan 1 & 2 always on
then i am going to load balance and the top (first ) wan small window change it to wan 2 >>protocol any>>then tick it
second small window at load balance click it and change it to wan 1 >> protocol any

this way will give priority to wan 2 ALL the time for any traffic

It is possible to set protocols but personal never did as i prefer only the wan 2 for all trafic and very rear using the wan 1 by un-clicking the wan 2 at load balance

also you need to set at LAN 's general set up manually a force router for dns server
If i did not add there one (have test one that is ok for both connections) then very few times my 2850 will be on but not internet connection

2nd choice
general set up use the wan 2 always on and wan 1 back up
this way not need load balance and change the isp dns servers ..... if ever the wan 2 disconnects the wan 1 will come in use but needs few minutes for the modem to synchronise

3rd choice
If you dont have 2 connections but just one then plug into the wan 2 your device and set it just to always on and that's it(turn off all the other wan's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami