DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How do I get a 2850 connected to 2820 in bridge mode?

• icehot
  • Topic Author
More
19 Nov 2012 15:32 #74266 by icehot
Hi,

Unfortunately the manuals and FAQs are vague on this subject. We have a 2820n router connected for ADSL in one of our offices which we want to keep working. We have just had BT Infinity installed on another phone line a few offices down the hall and we're using a 2850n to connect to the internet there. That new connection is obviously the main one for our offices now, and both units can see each other over the lan. What I want to be able to do is use the 2820 in bridge mode and use the 2850 wan 2 connection for PPPoE and then load balance them for failover and extra bandwidth when required.

I understand if I were using an ADSL modem I would just connect the modem to port 4 of the 2850 and it would all work, however I can't see a way for the router to find the other router in order to dial over pppoe as I can't tell it the routers MAC address or anything.

Could someone please explain how this gets setup?

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2012 15:41 #74269 by rothers
On the 2820:
WAN >> Internet Access >> PPPoE Pass Through

Then plug 2820 LAN into WAN1 on the 2850.

More
19 Nov 2012 17:41 #74270 by babis3g
hi
@ rothers ... are you sure connect the 2820 at the wan 1 of the 2850???wan 1... is the modem input and as far i know only the direct line can be connected there but if i am wrong please correct me
@ icehot ... never bridged them but this is may be helpful and just use the 2850 only ? you can have both adsl and vdsl at wan 1 of the 2850 via this dual DSL splitter that is coming with all new 2850 models :
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb/kb_vigor_v2850_dualDSL_setup.html
as the wan 1 has build in adsl/vdsl modem just connect direct both lines there...not any good?

• icehot
  • Topic Author
More
19 Nov 2012 18:24 #74271 by icehot

babis3g wrote: hi
@ rothers ... are you sure connect the 2820 at the wan 1 of the 2850???wan 1... is the modem input and as far i know only the direct line can be connected there but if i am wrong please correct me
@ icehot ... never bridged them but this is may be helpful and just use the 2850 only ? you can have both adsl and vdsl at wan 1 of the 2850 via this dual DSL splitter that is coming with all new 2850 models :
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb/kb_vigor_v2850_dualDSL_setup.html
as the wan 1 has build in adsl/vdsl modem just connect direct both lines there...not any good?

I can't try that unfortunately as they are too far apart mine does come with the splitter, but I would have to try and run a phone cable through another companies office to get it to work. What I really want to do is get this to work over a network switch that links our offices.

More
19 Nov 2012 22:29 #74275 by rothers
Yep sorry should have been WAN2 which I believe doubles as LAN 4 on the 2850

More
20 Nov 2012 04:20 #74277 by babis3g
No don't run so long cable to the dual adaptor or general anywhere...it will kill and slow down your connection even if you get the best quality cable
Its always advised to keep the modem near master socket and have longer lan's cables
I only bridged before my isp modem via pppoe with my 2920 and this guide ...so may help you(is with a 2920 but is very same with the 2850 using the wan 2 (Lan 4 as mentioned)bridged
http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/draytek-2920

Also you can bridge it with wireless as well at this submenu of both drayteks
Wireless LAN >> WDS Settings

Moderators: Sami