DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820n - Any way to restrict ADSL connection speed?

• ratcliffes
  • Topic Author
More
26 Nov 2012 17:26 #74352 by ratcliffes
Hi All,

I have a 2820n running latest firmware connected to an ADSL circuit using G.DMT protocol.

The router is a long way from the exchange so the attenuation is high. The router will connect at 3744000 bps downstream but it's not very reliable at this speed. I'd like to restrict the connection speed to improve reliability. I know I could achieve this by making a request of the ISP but I'd rather be in control of it as from time to time, it is worth trading reliability for extra bandwidth - the ISP won't want to do this (at least not quickly).

I've never found a way of achieving a lower connection speed using the web interface but wonder whether you guys may know if it is possible using a Telnet command or some other method?

Thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2012 00:47 #74354 by babis3g
Check the current loop attenuator, snr margin, synchronization speed and firmware version before you make changes
Then check again after the suggestion

If you don't know what version you have check here System Maintenance >> Firmware Upgrade and tell me to direct you back to the correct link
Make a back up file before you change anything

Go here and download firmware 2121501 or the STD ones(prefer the STD stand as standard which is for most normal lines)
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/v3.3.7.2/AnnexA/
Them 2 has longer loop attenuator so logicically should be more stable

You may need main master reset if not have them latest firmwares and start everything from the begin (read released notes)
If not have latest firmware (at the above link)...(and don't have time to scratch everything from begin) then go here
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/
and get the same current firmware version as your router ... then get same codes i mentioned up but just use the all. file in this case(with all. file, all settings will remain the same)

So back to topic ... Download the 2 codes i mentioned but overcareful to be same version firmware(all file will keep all settings as it is and rst file will do factory reset ) then install it (have the pc and 2820 with wire not via wifi)

Now go to wan >>internet access and set the Modulation to G.DMT(don't forget to press ok to save settings)
You can try also the ADSL2(G.992.3) but the g.dmt is much better for longer and noisy lines so g.dmt may do what the isp will had done by give you lower speed

HINT...try afternoon as that time, most of lines has got less synchronization than night hours and if still getting disconnected then change the other code firmware
Will be helpful IF draytek had and a tool build in to adjust the SNR as well (that will give most effect in the line out of all)
If still fail ... i suggest contact your isp to set more up your snr by 3 more db and turn interleaved profile for you

Let me know if works for you and if you don't know what version you have check here System Maintenance >> Firmware Upgrade before you go to any other step

PS can you post the statistics before you make any changes and after?
On line status>>physical connection
Thanks Babis

So in short words is very simple
you need firmwares code 2121501 and STD (if that codes are allready in the router then just simply change modulation
change to g.dmt or adsl2
Now should be more stable connection and sorry for long writting but i just got this post at a day that had nothing to do :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami