Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Bonding two broadband lines

• smrajan
  • Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2012 11:04 #74356 by smrajan
Bonding two broadband lines was created by smrajan
Hi All,

My one user recently added new broadband line because his old line was very slow, now he is looking for bonding both lines to get double bandwidth. he has DrayTek vigor 2830 router on one line and normal BT router on another. is there anyway we can bond two line together so we could get added bandwidth. Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks,
Rajan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2012 15:45 #74359 by asimm.it
Replied by asimm.it on topic Re: Bonding two broadband lines
Hi Rajan,

Only real way you can get the true double bandwidth is to have your ISP provide line bonding for both connections which will provide you with 2x the upload download speed of the connections, assuming that both connections were identical.

The old real thing you could do would be to load balance the connections which is not actually the same as bonding but can provide you with many benefits and help you to utilise both connections bandwidth through the 2830.

To do this you would need a vigor 120 or other similar modem device for the 2nd Connection and would connect this to the WAN2 port of the 2830, assuming that both connections are ADSL/2/2+ ect.

Hope that helps.

• smrajan
  • Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2012 21:07 #74373 by smrajan
Replied by smrajan on topic Re: Bonding two broadband lines
Thanks for the reply and great advice asimm. can you please clarify these :

My ISP is BT so if i ask them to provide a Line bonding then they will simply activate it and it should works straightway ? i read couple of articles and there mentioned it needs to be special kind of routers or modems to support bonding ?

So on these 2800 draytek we cant use bonding option ? just load balancing ?

More
28 Nov 2012 08:33 #74377 by rothers
Replied by rothers on topic Re: Bonding two broadband lines

smrajan wrote: i read couple of articles and there mentioned it needs to be special kind of routers or modems to support bonding ?

So on these 2800 draytek we cant use bonding option ? just load balancing ?

Correct, I don't know of any Draytek router that does bonding, they only do failover/load balancing.

Moderators: Sami