DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2960 + LoadBalance: connection problem to extern FTP server

• azzola
  • Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2012 12:02 #74357 by azzola
Hi,
i'm facing the first problems with a dual WAN load balancing configuration, config i'm facing since few days.

i know that FTP could cause me problems due to the fact that i have to be authenticated remotely with 1 IP associated so a variation on the run can cause this, how can i solve this? for example a rule that allow FTP traffic only to be routed out through (for ex.) WAN1 from an IP in my LAN, or any other way.

i simply connect to an external FTP server and during dir listing it sometimes stuck doing this and list me a portion of that dir, after... no way to prevent this other that vary load balancing ratio, with load balance near 1:1 the problem is almost constant, differently if i use a 20:10 ratio do it rarely but my second wan become almost unused.

if i have to explain better or other point just let me.

Thanks in advance
Cris

PS: i have also another question but OT, is normal that some devices even on HTTP connection start waiting even (sometimes many) seconds to retrieve datas?

2960 + many AP800

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2012 16:53 #74362 by asimm.it
I don't have a 2960 to hand but if it supports load balancing then you can go into the web administration and click on WAN then you should see Load-Balance Policy.

From there you can add/enable a rule that forces FTP on Tcp port 21 or indeed any other protocol to use a specific wan connection.

Hope that helps!

• azzola
  • Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2012 19:33 #74366 by azzola
first of all thanks for your answer ^^.
sorry, maybe i didn't explain well =) also this is my first Draytek and i have not studied yet well menus, capabilities and how every section work etc...
however i don't mean the case in which i'm the server, i mean when i'm client and have to connect to an external (internet) FTP server, i can connect but with connection done on dir listing maybe 1st and 2nd list run well but on the 3rd it stuck and tells me no data connection (all of this during the same session); i think i need to force FTP (only, and not the entire traffic to prevent sacrifice the loadbalance on this machine) outgoing traffic from a determined LAN IP to be routed through 1 WAN only during a session, but i don't know how at the moment.

1h ago i tried also to set up my FTP server inside my private NAS (to test if there was other problems in the opposite case) and everything works fine (forwarding a set of ports to let clients the PASV mode).

2960 + many AP800

More
27 Nov 2012 20:04 #74369 by asimm.it
hi,

as per my previous comment above, if you go into the WAN and Load-Balance policy and add a policy that forces all traffic on TCP port 21 down the WAN connection of your choice, I believe this will provide you with the result you are looking for. The policy can be set to either force all FTP traffic from the network to use a particular WAN connection or you can specify local ip address of an individual client or range of clients.

• azzola
  • Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2012 20:43 #74371 by azzola
sorry, i misunderstood, i'm trying... at first instance didn't work but then i rebooted router and now seems to work.

thanks a lot

2960 + many AP800

More
27 Nov 2012 21:01 #74372 by asimm.it
No problem.

Yes that sometimes happens and I would always advise anyone making any changes to the entire draytek product range to power cycle the device if it does not ask you to do it once you have made changes just to make sure that the changes are forced to the running configuration.

Glad I could help!

Moderators: Sami