Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Cannot Connect to O2 Broadband

• danboy1
  • Topic Author
More
22 Dec 2012 14:15 #74600 by danboy1
Cannot Connect to O2 Broadband was created by danboy1
Hi

Have just changed from Zen to O2 for variety of reasons but where my 2850Vn Box was sitting pretty on Zen working fine, now will just not connect at all to O2. Have tried myriad of configurations to try to get it to work including VCI = 101 and VCI = 102, tried inputting the MAC address for the O2 Box that was sent out into the MPOA section as well as all of the Static IP, Subnet and DG, 1483 Bridged IP LLC,and DNS servers, still nothing, just will not connect under any circumstances. Have plugged in the O2 Box and away it goes absolutely fine but swap over again the the Draytek and again nothing. changed around the firewall settings and even retuned router to factory settings at one pont wit no results. Has anybody else seen any of this and if so what have you done to get around it.

Incidentally also changed Firmware to 3.6.2 so just cannot undertand.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2012 14:48 #74601 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Cannot Connect to O2 Broadband
http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/beO2setup.htm
http://www.o2help.co.uk/broadband-settings/ (can try rfc 2684)
Make sure after resting the modem at wan general set up to enable wan 1 "yes" and always on
Now go to wan internet access > details page make sure to do manually annex A (because with previous firmware was a bug and annex M was enable even was at multimode by deafault- bug case-)

EDIT
sorry to do manually adsl2+ G992.5 and not annex A because adsl2= annex m was involved (hidden)there when at multimode (bug)

• danboy1
  • Topic Author
More
22 Dec 2012 20:41 #74604 by danboy1
Replied by danboy1 on topic Re: Cannot Connect to O2 Broadband
Hi

Thank you for the reply, I have tried the suggestions in the two links, they seem to be the standard O2 pro forma they send out, I have also tried your suggestion of Annex and not Annex M. In fact I have tried all of the different variations of this and still nothing works. As soon as I plug in the O2 router everything is up and running in seconds but nothing from the DRaytek 2850Vn. Incidentally O2 had already advised that the modulation was to be ADSL 2+ Annex M, of course when this failed I tried the ADSL 2+ G992.5 anyway but they both fail so this seems incidental. I am totally puzzeld here as I have never had a router not work like this before, never mind that it is a Draytek, it should definitely work with the settings I am inputting.

MPOA
VPI = 0
VCI = 102 (Also Tried 101)
Multi PVC = Channel 2
Enc = 1483 Bridged IP LLC
Static IP Input (Provided By O2)
Subnet Input (Tried 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.248.0)
Gateway INput (Given by O2)
Input DNS Secondary and Primary

Still nothing !!!!! any other ideas of what is actually going on here, I have not seen this before.

Regards

More
23 Dec 2012 00:26 #74606 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Cannot Connect to O2 Broadband
Can you enable at this page the RIP Protocol (not tick the bridge mode) and see if will connect??? but important wait up to 5 min to synchronize with RIP.

EDIT
seeing the other user post (g6ifs)that explains even if the settings are entered correctly you may not get instant access cos O2 use bridged ethoa so you may need to wait for O2's equipment at the exchange to refresh or the reason the member mentioned

More
23 Dec 2012 00:36 #74607 by g6ifs
Replied by g6ifs on topic Re: Cannot Connect to O2 Broadband
The setting's I have with a 2820 on O2 are

MPOA
VPI = 0
VCI = 101
Mudulation = ADSL2+(G.992.5)
Multi PVC = Channel 2
Obtain an IP address automatically

(I notice that it is reporting a SubMask of 255.255.248.0 and gateway of 94.193.72.1 if it helps)

If I use ADSL2+ AnnexM or Multimode then it always fails.

This has been used for several years now and had no problems with the Draytek.
When I first switched to Draytek from the O2 supplied router I could not connect but I switching the router off for 30 minutes and then switching it back on. This apparantly allows the routers down the line to drop out. When I switched back on it forms a new circuit and has been fine since.

I recently tried a Netgear NE600 router and had the same problem connecting, switching off for 30 minutes solved the problem.

• danboy1
  • Topic Author
More
24 Dec 2012 13:31 #74609 by danboy1
Replied by danboy1 on topic Re: Cannot Connect to O2 Broadband

g6ifs wrote: The setting's I have with a 2820 on O2 are

MPOA
VPI = 0
VCI = 101
Mudulation = ADSL2+(G.992.5)
Multi PVC = Channel 2
Obtain an IP address automatically

(I notice that it is reporting a SubMask of 255.255.248.0 and gateway of 94.193.72.1 if it helps)

If I use ADSL2+ AnnexM or Multimode then it always fails.

This has been used for several years now and had no problems with the Draytek.
When I first switched to Draytek from the O2 supplied router I could not connect but I switching the router off for 30 minutes and then switching it back on. This apparantly allows the routers down the line to drop out. When I switched back on it forms a new circuit and has been fine since.

I recently tried a Netgear NE600 router and had the same problem connecting, switching off for 30 minutes solved the problem.

Thank you for taking the time to come back to me, I tried yesterday in vain to connect running through various different configuration options, finally today I have managed to become connected at last to O2. It seems that your advice to switch on and configure then switch off for a while then turn back on to allow the exchange synching seems to have done the trick. I mention some time as my router did not respond to 30 minutes (repeated attempts) but instead 2 hours (tried and tested through many hours of trying). I cannot answer as to why this was the case as the consensus on the internet seems to also be 30 minutes so just why this took so long I do not know however my router is up and running with a fairly strong connection. Incidentally I was repeatedly told by O2 that the Modulation was ADSL 2+ Annex M, just to let you know as stated above your router will not work on this, and will however work on the ADSL 2+ G992.5, also on VCI = 101 even on a static IP address which from what I have read it is not supposed to. I also removed the MAC address for the O2 router from MPOA and just went with the default.

I hope this helps anybody else who comes across this problem and a big thank you to g6ifs, this really helped.

Regards

Dan

Moderators: Sami