DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850Vn & VPN tunnel traffic issue

• mercury
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jan 2013 21:35 #74751 by mercury
2850Vn & VPN tunnel traffic issue was created by mercury
I have an issue on my 2850Vn where the VPN tunnel into my employers system connects with no problems at all. However what I am seeing with the data, particularly inbound to me data, is that I get traffic for 10-20 seconds and then it just stops. After a pause of maybe a minute or so I might get another burst but I might not. The tunnels never drop abd it seems particularly prevalent when connected to SharePoint 2010 systems...though why that makes a differebce I don't know. I cannot pull files of more than a few hundred Kb via the VPN without an issue.

I have also noticed that when running a speed test, the inbound rate is stable, but the outbound data stream runs for a few seconds, pauses, suddenly leaps to an improbably high rate and carries on.

I've reverted us back to a 2820Vn and the problem has disappeared. Unfortunately my outbound data rate has dropped 30% with the change....the 2820Vn has always done this and Draytek looked at it under warranty and said it was fine! Both an ancient 2600 and the 2850Vn have the same in/out rates as each other, but not the 2820Vn. No idea why but.....must be a 'feature'.

I have updated the firmware, but no difference. I'm on ADSL (no fibre here!) with a 5.5Mbps inbound and 400kbps (2850) outbound rate. Line att is around 34dB, SNR is 8-10dB. The 2820Vn shown no outbound data rate instability compared to the 2850Vn. It's a nice steady constant rate.

Has anyone else come across the VPN traffic issue? If so what was the fix? I suspect the 2850Vn itself may have an issue and as it's under warranty I hope Draytek will have an answer (or replacement) but I thought I'd check with the knowledgeable group here :D

Vigor 2600, 2820vn, 2850Vn, AP700v1, AP800, N65.
Radio Engineer & IT Project Manager

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2013 12:00 #74785 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: 2850Vn & VPN tunnel traffic issue
Turn off DoS defense on the router if you've got that enabled - your description suggests the UDP flood defense is being triggered and coming back each time. Syslog output from the router would confirm it.

• mercury
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jan 2013 12:13 #74786 by mercury
Replied by mercury on topic Re: 2850Vn & VPN tunnel traffic issue
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Draytek are themselves going to have a look at the system remotely and see what they can find too.

Vigor 2600, 2820vn, 2850Vn, AP700v1, AP800, N65.
Radio Engineer & IT Project Manager

Moderators: Sami