DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2920 3.6.3 - known issues? - UPDATE

• fazzauk
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jan 2013 11:18 #74783 by fazzauk
Hey All,

I've been using my 2920 just fine on a BT Infinity2 service as a replacement router for the home hub (needed the vlan functionality...etc for hosting).
This has been absolutely perfect up until I updated a couple of firmware revisions up to the latest 3.6.3.

It would appear that I now get some sort of memory leak or similar that causes the router to freeze up almost to the point of death. I connect remotely to secure services remotely while in the office to home and every morning now without fail the WAN throughput will be about 1-6k a second. After a few attempts after connecting I am usually able to load the console for the router very slowly and force a remote reboot. This will always resolve the problem and restore throughput to around 60Mb/s down and 16Mb/s up. However I will always return to the office the next day and find myself in the same situation.

This router has been running stable on previous firmwares for 6 months without issue.
I am using WAN port 2 for the infinity modem connection and have all firewall DoS protections on. Let me know if there are any other settings that may help in diags.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Known issues?

Thanks very much for your time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2013 09:35 #74806 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Vigor2920 3.6.3 - known issues?
Could you turn off QoS on the router to check if that helps? The reason I ask is that I think there's a bug with QoS giving bandwidth to the "Other" class.
Also check the syslog output from the router when it happens because maybe it's the DoS defense being triggered in some way?

• fazzauk
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jan 2013 10:51 #74807 by fazzauk
Replied by fazzauk on topic Re: Vigor2920 3.6.3 - known issues?
Thanks.

I think however that QoS on the WAN interfaces under 'Bandwidth Management' on the GUI is disabled by default. Certainly seems that way at the moment.
I have enabled the syslog and set it to log 'all' (I'll fit a USB key tonight for more comprehensive logging over time) and see if this yields anything overnight.

Thanks for your time. Let me know if anything else springs to mind.

• fazzauk
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jan 2013 10:33 #74864 by fazzauk
Replied by fazzauk on topic Re: Vigor2920 3.6.3 - known issues? - UPDATE
Hey all,

So the syslog didn't show up anything. I disabled both QoS and DoS protection for a while but this made no difference.
However, I have noticed something interesting....

This only affects a SSH port forwarding that I have set up on the router. I port forward port 443 externally though to another internal ssh port served up by a Linux box. Its this service that will suddenly stop performing over night (drop to 1-2k a sec throughput at best) and only a router reboot will resolve the issue. Again this has only been an issue since updating a couple of firmware revisions.

It has proved not to be the Linux box as ssh still performs internally and interestingly it does not affect other services or bandwidth inbound or outbound from the router. Machines on the network can still download at 50+ Mb/s and the clients to the Linux box's web server can still download files at 16Mb/s+ (upload).

Could there be an issue here? Is there anything I'm missing? Is there a way to report a potential bug to draytek themselves?

Thanks again.

• fazzauk
  • Topic Author
More
11 Aug 2013 13:30 #77356 by fazzauk
Replied by fazzauk on topic Re: Vigor2920 3.6.3 - known issues? - UPDATE
This one can be considered closed.
Updating to the new firmware (3.6.3 > 3.6.4) fixed the issue.

Moderators: Sami