Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek for 330 Mbps BT Infinity

• jrothlis
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jan 2013 11:17 #74870 by jrothlis
Draytek for 330 Mbps BT Infinity was created by jrothlis
Hi everyone,

I recently had BT FTTP (fibre to the premises) installed (I just happen to be lucky enough to live in one of the areas where FTTP is an option), and using the BT-supplied Home Hub 3 (HH3) I achieve the full speed -- using speedtest.net I can get 310 Mbps consistently. I currently own a 2820Vn, and it gives me max 70 Mbps down. I bought an Asus RT-N66U, which is very highly regarded in the retail wireless router market, but it maxes out at around 200 Mbps. Even though it is capable of raw WAN-LAN throughput of 700+ Mbps, it seems that PPPoE (part of the BT Infinity setup) is very CPU intensive.

I'm hoping the 2130n is capable, but haven't been able to find evidence (I contacted Draytek who weren't very helpful). I know the Draytek site says that the firewall throughput is 500 Mbps, but this doesn't take into account the PPPoE CPU overhead.

Has anyone got experience with a Draytek router on 300+ Mbps with PPPoE?

Thanks for your input!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2013 12:46 #74871 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Draytek for 330 Mbps BT Infinity
Hi ... i remember you and well done for your new FTTP
I may end up as well sometime as i am direct to exchange so no FTTC here...if ever be a special offer with instillation i am up too it

Sorry i may not help you but you saying when devices are via PPPOE they having problem with speeds due to CPU at least with your previous router?

Even if this is the case which we don't know if will do the same the 2130 via PPPOE and not give you the full speeds ... i think it can be set via static or dynamic ip as well (as far i know it can with adsl and fttc)

The info draytek are not clear about it? or are confused as the UK info saying 500 mb and international saying was updated to 800mb at their web page

Perhaps the only way to know is to try for your self as have not seen any one apart you using such speeds in here but never know come back soon to see if are any other draytek 2130 user for reply

Sorry asking too much but this model has "take" my eyes as well for the future

I will email the info to see what they saying as well

• jrothlis
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jan 2013 13:03 #74872 by jrothlis
Replied by jrothlis on topic Re: Draytek for 330 Mbps BT Infinity
Cheers babis, hopefully someone is lucky like me and has a nice fast FTTP connection. :)

More
22 Jan 2013 17:45 #74893 by babis3g

jrothlis wrote: Cheers babis, hopefully someone is lucky like me and has a nice fast FTTP connection. :)

First for our info (If a new user is interesting about it have find this web that they have performed individual tests and having some info about chippest)
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31132-draytek-vigor-2130n-reviewed
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31132-draytek-vigor-2130n-reviewed?showall=&start=3

Are very impressed results really

Now about your question about PPPOE i have emailed the sales direct at Taiwan

I am VERY PLEASED for giving STRAIGHTFORWARD and HONEST answer
(Pesronal after this query about the 2130n - now days which everything is about money- and i still have some little feelings and sense in this hard world ... i will suggest draytek every where i post or talk with my mates)

I don't know if is good or bad to copy the email but i will, a small part because has information sales and is about good info and PROFESSIONAL ADVISE/SERVICE from Draytek
If MOD believe is wrong then can delete it and accept my apologies

Regarding to your questions:
1. What final speed really can have the 2130n .... 500mb or 800mb
The value of 800mb is the vale which our RDs have tested in the perfect environment at Lab.
That is why the value at the UK site has slightly modified, considering the real environment.

2. If i use the draytek 2130n via PPPOE will affect PPPOE CPU overhead (so will not get 500 or 800mb) but much less speed or will be OK with PPPOE???
Yes you are right, considering the processing method of PPPOE, it will also get about 200mb.

3. Can use it with dynamic or static IP and give full 330 mb (full speed for my connection)
If only use DHCP, and Static IP, you will get value up to 800mb.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Elena.

If you can set it (which maybe be ok i think because with vdsl or adsl it is possible ) via static or dynamic ip option seems will not have problem
Here the experts can advise more

VM has choice me from March upwards as beta tester
If i am lucky tests new speeds maybe 200-380mb due to upcoming FTTP from BT with up to 330mb as your new connection ... i am after it because static dynamic ip is what i need with VM settings :D

• jrothlis
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jan 2013 17:51 #74894 by jrothlis
Replied by jrothlis on topic Re: Draytek for 330 Mbps BT Infinity

babis3g wrote: I am VERY PLEASED for giving STRAIGHTFORWARD and HONEST answer
(Pesronal after this query about the 2130n - now days which everything is about money- and i still have some little feelings and sense in this hard world ... i will suggest draytek every where i post or talk with my mates)

Regarding to your questions:
1. What final speed really can have the 2130n .... 500mb or 800mb
The value of 800mb is the vale which our RDs have tested in the perfect environment at Lab.
That is why the value at the UK site has slightly modified, considering the real environment.

2. If i use the draytek 2130n via PPPOE will affect PPPOE CPU overhead (so will not get 500 or 800mb) but much less speed or will be OK with PPPOE???
Yes you are right, considering the processing method of PPPOE, it will also get about 200mb.

3. Can use it with dynamic or static IP and give full 330 mb (full speed for my connection)
If only use DHCP, and Static IP, you will get value up to 800mb.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Elena.

That is a very good response! I'm quite surprised actually, even though I'm disappointed that the 2130n won't solve my problem.

And thanks so much for passing on this info.

Cheers,

--John

More
23 Jan 2013 00:27 #74900 by babis3g
Welcome That is called professional advise :) and now undstand why Draytek feels proud

One of the advances with Drayteks is to offer different types of connections and one is via static or dynamic ip

You may want to look at this link
http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/draytek-2920
Is about the 2920 but the 2130 can do as well exactly same way DHCP static dynamic which will give the full speed ands seems better than PPPOE
The problem may be at FTTP modem if you allowed change the ip (if not locked by BT openreach) but again ... if the ip address of FTTP modem is not same as draytek (192.168.1.1) will not even need to change anything .... or even if Modem is locked can change the draytek router ip

So take your time to see if fits you

The DrayTek 2920 provides two options for connecting modems: PPPoE (which means that you have to enter your ISP login details directly into the DrayTek router) or using a static (or dynamic) IP address (which does not use PPPoE).

If PPPoE is used, the modem has to be set to ‘Pure Bridge’ mode in the Protocol selection drop down menu in its WAN Profile configuration menu. While we found that this works perfectly, an unfortunate consequence of using PPPoE is that it is not possible for devices to access the modem (by typing their IP address into a browser) because they belong to a different IP number range.

We preferred to set the DrayTek WAN inputs to Static IP mode, which does not require the modem to be configured as ‘Pure Bridge’ mode. This allowed us to access the modem by typing in their IP addresses in a browser on our existing network (despite the fact that they were in different IP address ranges). This enabled us to monitor the two ADSL connections regularly as well as to tweak the SNR target margins on both lines.

How ever what matters is to get what you need ... and whatever you will get, to choice it with your own willing

Best wishes Babis

Moderators: Sami