Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Loop attenuation, long lines on Vigor 2850

• puregeordie
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jan 2013 15:40 #74886 by puregeordie
Loop attenuation, long lines on Vigor 2850 was created by puregeordie
Hi,

BT are a pain in trying to figure out why one has a long line and other doesn't even though as far as I can see they come from the same loop of cable from the green box.

I have two BB lines using the same cable but obviously different pairs in it, one has a loop attenuation of 56 which isn't great but better than the other running at 69. How can this be as its the same cable run?

On another level I'm looking at getting fibre on the longer line as well (Using my 2850 VDSL port)as BT said its worth a try!! so I'm not hoping this even will work but fingers crossed anyways.

Any thoughts, Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2013 00:50 #74901 by babis3g
hmmmmmm.... BT seems will try for long time to figure out what is going on ... but the answer may be simple
With out knowing your line will explain only from the side of draytek modems:

Draytek has firmwares with different modem codes
What means is to give possible better stability to adsl line with different dslams
For this season some draytek modem codes firmwares has different loop attenuator
Firmwares with different loop attenuator (this is personal opinion) is for give better as well stability with lines that have noise or maybe longer lines

If you have 2 drayteks (one each line) it may be a possible reason both to have different firmware modem codes so can have different loop attenuator
Or if you have one draytek and an other brand perhaps the draytek has modem code firmware with sorter or longer loop attenuator

To find out what modem codes you have go to physical connection>>on line status >> then look down page some red letters i think >>ADSL Information<< then next some small black numbers
or System Maintenance >> Firmware Upgrade
or at System Status first page when log in on top of it

Have a look at my tests ( i know my English not good) to get a small idea about loop attenuator and different modem codes :D
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17573#p73363

About draytek 2850and fibre FTTC as you mentioned it is an ADSL/VDSL modem and will work very good
For your info with this model (2850n) you can actually connect your 2 adsl & vdsl lines together, at the same time and same modem (2850n) and avoid having 2 different modems one for each line

Here how ( the splitter is supplied in the sales box)
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb/kb_vigor_v2850_dualDSL_setup.html :)

You can also have both 2 adsl lines together with the 2850 but you will need one modem as well

• puregeordie
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jan 2013 10:53 #74906 by puregeordie
Replied by puregeordie on topic Re: Loop attenuation, long lines on Vigor 2850
Thanks Babis, Look into that.

Cheers.

Moderators: Sami