DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2850n / Line Problems Poor Sync (Fixed)

• niggly54
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jan 2013 09:24 #74965 by niggly54
After replacing my BT supplied Huawei HG612 FTTC modem and Home Hub 3 (or latterly 2920n) with a nice new 2850n and- despite much messing with firmwares and configuration options- I became disappointed with the speeds obtained. BT reset my profile twice- and it still reverted back to a download speed 20mb slower than the BT equipment. The upload was also 40% slower.
So, after some more investigation online- I found that some people were having issues with the matching of the modem chipset to that in the DSLAM cabinet. According to the Draytek- my cabinet contains an Infineon (Lantiq) chipset. My Huawei HG612 has a Broadcom chipset- the Draytek has a relatively unknown chipset by Metanoia Comms. The alternative BT modem, made by ECI- has a Lantiq chipset. So- by way of an experiment, I have bought one on EB@y. It should be here this week. In the meantime, I have put back my original Huawei modem and the Draytek 2920n. Already, my upload has gone from 9-11 to 16, and hopefully DLM will allow the download to increase over time. It will be interesting to see if the ECI modem gives further improvements or not. Has anyone else seen anything similar with their setups?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2013 11:52 #74967 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Finally given up with my 2850n.....
Sorry replying to your thread just want to add something
At least mine has ADI and not metania unless metania using chipests from ADI
With adsl, ADI and infineon (at TT LLU)is working and synchronise very good so i am surprised you having issues (i know you have vdsl line)

• niggly54
  • Topic Author
More
09 Feb 2013 21:36 #75127 by niggly54
Replied by niggly54 on topic Re: Finally given up with my 2850n.....
Now there's a thing!
After my third complaint- a very nice lady at the BT India call centre arranged for an engineers visit last Friday. The engineer from Openreach turned up just after 1pm and finished three hours later.
It turns out there was a copper line fault between my house and the DSLAM which was introducing errors and causing the DLM to cut my speed. He has corrected the fault, reset my IP profile and all is as it was when it was first installed last year. So, all I need to do is to retest the 2850n on my newly fixed line and see if it performs as it should. Happy days.... I think!

More
21 Mar 2013 15:44 #75649 by ghostworks
Replied by ghostworks on topic Re: Finally given up with my 2850n.....
Did your line perform as it should now with the 2850n?

• niggly54
  • Topic Author
More
24 Mar 2013 11:52 #75679 by niggly54
Sorry it's taken me so long- but I have finally reconnected my 2850n and loaded on the latest 3.6.3 HTC beta firmware (with IPV6 enabled so I don't get the server error).
I am pleased to report that speedtest.net is showing 71mb/s down and around 13mb/s up. Slightly slower than the Huawei for the upload- but who cares :)
Just need to load the config settings from my 2920n and then I shall leave it for longer testing. But it's looking good now with very low FEC errors.

• niggly54
  • Topic Author
More
31 Mar 2013 22:37 #75724 by niggly54
The 2850n is now permanently installed and performing well. Syncing at 75mb and 20mb up.
An interesting observation tonight though- my snr has not changed once it has gotten dark. Normally the snr would rise and the sync speed could drop slightly- something that used to affect my adsl line quite badly. However- tonight it has not changed at all. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the recent replacement of all the local street lighting with new led lamps- replacing the old sodium fittings. Could it be there is less radiated noise? If so then it is a big bonus!
UPDATE: 3 days now and the snr has not changed. Connection rock solid. My internet has never- going back to the days of dial up modems- been this stable.

Moderators: Sami