DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 - WAN2 not working with load balancing - DNS?

More
29 Jan 2013 20:33 #75006 by clee
Hi there

Im having a problem with load balancing with my Draytek 2820.

My setup is I have 2 internet connections...one goes directly into a 2820 and the other into a 120 modem which connects to the wan2 port.

I have setup failover which works fine...when I unplug wan1, wan2 kicks in and I can still use the internet.

I have 2 areas, area 1 uses wan1 and area 2 uses wan2. This is where I have a problem.
After setting the rules in Load Balancing Policies, area 1 can browse fine but area 2 has a problem where typing a address shows nothing. After testing I believe its a DNS issue as if I enter the IP address (instead of the web address) it works! Im confused as if I disconnect wan1 then area 2 works correctly.

Im guessing im missing a setting somewhere but I cant find it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2013 00:56 #75014 by babis3g
Yea sometimes seems dns fail some times even for my 2850 but very rear after set at my post 2 link below
I have also read this issue maybe fix if untick at DoS "Enable UDP flood defense" so try this first
It will not reboot automatic but a manual reboot may be good to take faster effect
This thread also may help you out as the interface is the same and same issues
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17956

More
30 Jan 2013 12:51 #75023 by sicon
also add a load balance policy for the ISPs DNS servers to force them to the WAN connection they are associated with

More
30 Jan 2013 20:50 #75038 by voodle
Right, what I think this is - is the PCs / network are set up to use DNS servers on WAN1 and PCs going through WAN2 are trying to make DNS requests to WAN1's DNS server which gets rejected.
To fix that, the easiest way is to set the router to give out its own IP as a DNS forwarder if you're using as a DHCP server, that's set under LAN - General Setup - LAN1 Details Page - DNS Server IP.
Otherwise you have to faff about with load balance rules for the DNS servers each ISP or use an open DNS like google's 8.8.8.8.

edit: yeah, what sicon said :)

More
05 Apr 2013 13:22 #75771 by clee
Apologies for the late reply.

I just wanted to say thanks for the tips and its all fixed.
In the end I used the openDNS servers as through testing using namebench I found their servers were quicker than the ISP one :o

Thanks again all! :)

Moderators: Sami