Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP800 Bridge mode - won't work!

• debaron
  • Topic Author
More
16 Feb 2013 12:40 #1 by debaron
AP800 Bridge mode - won't work! was created by debaron
Hi all,

am having a hard time getting 2 AP800's working in bridge mode. Spent an hour on the phone with SEG support and we checked all settings. Still no luck.

Can anyone help please??

My setup is this.

Vigor 2710 as router and DHCP server cabled to AP800 number 1 (AP1) via POE switch to LAN A1 (which powers the AP obviously) - no DHCP with static ip and DG specified.

AP1 has a TPLINK 14dbi antenna connected to the right hand antenna point - standard aerial on the left. This setup is in the loft cavity of a building with poor access and no power hence PoE. There is breezeblock and stone wall directly in front of it.

AP800 number 2 is across the road (15meters away - also no DHCP, static and specified DG) in the building that needs bridging. It is near a window screwed to a wall.

The 2 units have been setup in bridge mode, bridge with WDS and also the latest setup which is AP1 as an AP and AP2 as a universal repeater.

Upon setup with both AP's in Bridge-WDS mode I can scan for AP discovery from AP2 and the network coming from AP1 is shown with 60% signal strength. I add these settings to WDS.

A host (in my case MacBook Pro) can then acquire a DHCP address in the correct range from the Vigor but cannot ping the internet nor the router.
The router ARP cache shows AP1 with it's address but not ARP2.

In the last mode we setup (AP with Universal repeater) there is the option to set an additional static address in the UR settings.
In this way the router ARP cache shows AP1 and AP2's static UR IP but not it's IP set in the LAN settings........In this mode I CAN ping the router but NOT THE INTERNET??1!??!?

Maybe a salient point is the DNS forwarders shown in the connecting host (MacBook Pro) when gaining and IP address via DHCP are not the ones shown in the router....
Also I can connect directly to AP1 from the location that AP2 is and everything works fine.

Also, I moved AP2 right next to AP1 and all seemed to work fine. Do the AP800's make any additional connections with each other in bridge mode(s) other than standard 2.4GHz??

Maybe the aerial is the problem?? banging my head against the wall as this SHOULD work but can't figure it out.

Any help gratefully received!

Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami