Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820vn Ethernet WAN only

• saf1973
  • Topic Author
More
23 Feb 2013 20:52 #75307 by saf1973
2820vn Ethernet WAN only was created by saf1973
Hi all, first post!

I've recently changed my internet connection from an ADLS2+ connection to a 100mb ethernet connection, great speed but the Interno router that the ISP supplied doesn't support NAT loopback. I dont want to have to mess around with host files or hosting my own DNS server, i have a Vigor 2820vn and was hoping to use the WAN two port for the connection but i cannot get it to route.

The product spec states "If you don't have ADSL, the Ethernet WAN port can instead be used as your primary/only Internet connection (using NAT) so the same router can be used for either ADSL or Ethernet Internet connections"

When i plug into the rj45 socket my ISP installed i get a public ip address on the Vigor WAN 2 port, all looks good including the routing table but its just not playing ball.

Anyone set this up before? Do i need to enable RIP or do something with that 2nd subnet function?

thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2013 01:50 #75312 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2820vn Ethernet WAN only
Are you trying to connect with VM???100mb connection?
If yes i will try to tell you how to set it with wan 2 only

• saf1973
  • Topic Author
More
24 Feb 2013 09:42 #75315 by saf1973
Replied by saf1973 on topic Re: 2820vn Ethernet WAN only
Hi,

No its Hyperoptic. They have installed fibre to the apartment block and then ethernet into each apartment.

More
24 Feb 2013 19:33 #75319 by babis3g
OK Thanks
Just a suggestion cos usually pppoe it works with most cases
If you plug with an ehternet cable from your isp modem to wan 2 at 2820vn ... then WAN >> Internet Access >> wan 2 and set it via pppoe (add your account user name password from isp) MTU 1492 click ok down page and reboot (don't forget to enable top right page)
Is not working this way?

• saf1973
  • Topic Author
More
09 Mar 2013 10:31 #75523 by saf1973
Replied by saf1973 on topic Re: 2820vn Ethernet WAN only
Afraid this wont work, its not pppoe and there is no user name and password. Hyperoptic have a router in the basement of the block and have run Cate5e to each apartment, so its just standard IP routing and nothing to do with broadband in the traditional sense.

I did hook up the ISP supplied router to the Vigor on WAN two, use load balancing with everything going via the WAN 2 connection and routing is fine, its just that NAT loopback doesnt work as it has to come back via that WAN2 connection via the Inerno router which doesn't support NAT loopback.

Looks like i may have to either live with not having loopback or get a Cisco or similar that does support NAT loopback and ditch the Vigor and Interno.

More
09 Mar 2013 13:49 #75524 by babis3g
With out me having experience with NAT Loopback , the link below claims the 2820 will NOT work with firmware 3.3.3 or higher so it may be a chance not ditch it.It may good to look the comments as well for more help
http://durdle.com/archives/2011/01/05/nat-loopback-broken-on-draytek-vigor-2820-firmware-3-3-3/

So you may need take your time (if you have & can do it) to look for a backwards compatible firmware

Here may helps you get an older firmware behind of 3.3.3
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/

Moderators: Sami