DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850n and vodafone sure signal problems

• mtcsltd
  • Topic Author
More
28 Feb 2013 02:35 #75378 by mtcsltd
I updated to VDSL (I use Zen) on Monday and now I can't get my Vodafone Sure Signal (VSS) to give me a data. I can make phone calls and send texts but no 3G data gets through.
Initially I used the BT Openreach supplied ECI modem plugged into the WAN2 port of my old 2830.
Now I'm using the 2850Vn without the ECI modem, but I still have the same problem. It's at F/W 3.6.3_2471201.

I've read lots of things to try but nothing has worked:
1) Port forwarding
2) Upping the MTU from 1492 to 1500 (using Telnet)
3) Disabling IPSEC on remote access control to allow the VSS (which uses IPSEC) to connect to vodafone systems
4) Accepting large incoming fragmented UDP or ICMP packets

I've also hard reset the VSS, and asked Vodafone to reset/resync the unit, but again nothing works.

I have a backup Sky ADSL line, which I've used before for the VSS but it was never reliable. It was always far more reliable on the Zen ADSL.

I know I can just use data through a wi-fi connection, which would be more efficient/faster etc, but the VSS is very convenient. I don't want to keep switching wi-fi on or off when ever I leave or return.

Some people say that VSS doesn't work with PPPoE period, others that it works fine, and others say that sometimes it works.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2 with Jelly Bean 4.1.2 (international version). The APN settings are all fine, and 3G works fine away from the office.

It's almost working for me, but I'm out of ideas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2013 12:54 #75381 by fst.dave.hampton
Replied by fst.dave.hampton on topic Re: 2850n and vodafone sure signal problems
Hi MTCS,

I have heard of a similar issue a couple of months ago from a friend who also works in IT and my memory is patchy but this may help.

He found that the VSS was adding in extra data into the packets and by reducing the MTU he resolved the issue,it wasn't a massive reduction, but it resolved his issue, unfortunately he is no longer with Voda and cant remember any more than i can about the issue!

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Dave

• mtcsltd
  • Topic Author
More
28 Feb 2013 13:32 #75382 by mtcsltd
Replied by mtcsltd on topic Re: 2850n and vodafone sure signal problems
Many thanks Dave,

I did a search and came up with a so called magic number of 1456, and possibly 1478. The page I found was at this link...
http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=7156fec2ef76209b41fda14857cd1f07&topic=34387.15

It's very technical and way over my head, but it's worth a try, which I'll do tonight.

I had another thought which was maybe there is an MTU value for the LAN as well as the WAN, but when I telnet to the router there appears to be lan command. Ah well.
I'll see what happens tonight and update this thread.
I was thinking it might be worth isolating the VSS on a seperate vlan.

Cheers
Mike

• mtcsltd
  • Topic Author
More
28 Feb 2013 18:19 #75384 by mtcsltd
Well the MTU values made no difference.

1456 prevented the router from getting online. It just wouldn't connect.
It's running with 1478 now, but still no 3G data through the VSS. :(

• mtcsltd
  • Topic Author
More
01 Mar 2013 00:25 #75388 by mtcsltd
just tried an MTU of 1480, but still no 3g data.

I get a H symbol on my phone, same as before, but no apps can get data, only voice and text messages.

More
06 Mar 2013 03:32 #75463 by groov
its the phone .. nothing to do with the VSS - i had the same problem.
I used another phone and 3g data worked (even though the original phone worked ok with it for a while).

Moderators: Sami