DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Recommend me suitable Draytek equipment

• ignatius
  • Topic Author
More
03 Mar 2013 12:18 #75414 by ignatius
Recommend me suitable Draytek equipment was created by ignatius
When I started using my 2820 a few years ago, I thought it would do routing between the VLANs but I realise now that it won't. I need additional functionality now and, rather than misinterpreting the fact sheets relating to various Draytek products again, I thought it would be sensible to put the scenario here so those who have accomplished this can give me advice about the best way to do it. Alternatively, it may not be possible with ANY Draytek device. I hasten to add I posted a related question in another sub-forum but I haven't received any further responses.

Scenario
There's a main office and a subsidiary, both using Draytek 2820s and ADSL. The main office has VOIP (Mitel) and we'd like to incorporate the remote office into this VOIP network by configuring a VPN, putting a POE switch and 3 or 4 Mitel phones at the remote office. The main office LAN is 192.168.3.0 / 24 which connects to the internet via the Draytek. The VOIP network is 192.168.4.0 / 24 and doesn't touch the Draytek as it doesn't need internet access. The remote office LAN is 192.168.2.0 / 24. We don't need to have a VPN between the sites providing access to resources at this stage, though that might become necessary in due course.

Is there any Draytek equipment that we can install at both ends to allow the main office VOIP to be extended to the remote office? My initial thinking was to configure a VPN between the devices and have the VOIP network attached to the Draytek but have it as a separate VLAN so the Drayteks would pass just the VOIP VLAN traffic between them. Ideally, I'd like to stay with Draytek, rather than move to a different manufacturer.

Thanks for your time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2013 14:04 #75473 by sicon
I would go with a 2830 at the main office.
Enable VLAN
Create Port1 at the Main office LAN
Create Port2 as the VOIP LAN
Enable inter VLAN routing (just a tick box)

Leave the 2820 at the remote site and create IPSEC to the VOIP LAN that way the main office can see the phone system and so can the remote.

Hope this makes sense, its harder to put into words than actually doing it

• ignatius
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2013 09:58 #75513 by ignatius
Replied by ignatius on topic Re: Recommend me suitable Draytek equipment
Thank you sicon. I've read the specs for various pieces of Draytek hardware and didn't want to make a mistake by misinterpreting something. I'll look into the 2830.

Moderators: Sami