Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

G2240 switch issue

• dave-sabre
  • Topic Author
More
13 Mar 2013 12:29 #75555 by dave-sabre
G2240 switch issue was created by dave-sabre
Hi All,

My first post here so I'll say hi first - I'm an electroncis engineer, looking after a few networks as part of my work. After being recomeneded Draytek we have quite a bit of such hardware across them all. Mostly it has been a good experience!

A wierd fault has appeared on a client's site - which I's appreciate some opinion on. They have a pair of G2240's which are nearly full of items - PCs, cameras, an odd bespoke box, a couple of printers, and servers, all in a training suite.

One and now a second PC - some days power up and just seem not to have network... so various stuff has been tried, new cabling, rebooting etc... in fact after a number of tries - the reliable fix seems to be either a) unplugging the patch cord, or b) repowering the switches. After that they work fine, sometimes until the next morning, or perhaps more likely the next monday when the PCs have been off for a whole weekend. It is almost as though the port of the switch has gone to sleep and is ignoring the PC. I dont know yet if the lights on the front are illuminated indicating a connected device (they reset them too fast as usually wanting to get on with some work).

Anyone seen anything like this ... am I even barking up the right tree?

Thanks!
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2013 12:11 #75666 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: G2240 switch issue
Is there anything in the Logs?
They haven't mnanage to loop it in anyway have the. Switch on STP if supported. Also o the port settings take it from auto and force it to the speed of what ever the end point device is.
You never know it might be a dodgy port and the switch is at fault.
If that we me I would be VLANing off the camera system making smaller Broadcast Domains, this would make management easier and less likely to run out of IP addresses.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami